7700 vs 7700k for gaming.

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
As the title suggests i'm stuck between choosing the 7700 and the 7700k. I'm only interested in gaming, and at the moment i'm on 1080p@75hz. The 7700k + cooler will cost me about $110 more, and i'm only interested if it gives significant fps boosts in games. I'm only on 1080@75 right now, but i do plan to upgrade my monitor to 4k in the next year or so if that matters.

I can fit the extra $110 in my budget, however i've kind of gotten to the point where i feel i've already spent too much on my PC and would much rather just pocket the cash.

So what would you guys suggest?

Thanks.

Solution
What motherboard are you be running with the processor, or is that also up for debate? If it's not a board that would be able to overclock well with the 7700k then that would also make your decision for you.

The 7700 would be just fine for 75Hz gaming, but so would the 7600 or 7600k. And, assuming you have a nice motherboard for overclocking, a nice air cooler like an h7 or even an h5 (provided you have the room in your case) and a 7600k would still be cheaper than the 7700, and overclocked would give comparable if not better performance depending on how well binned your chip is.

genthug

Honorable
What motherboard are you be running with the processor, or is that also up for debate? If it's not a board that would be able to overclock well with the 7700k then that would also make your decision for you.

The 7700 would be just fine for 75Hz gaming, but so would the 7600 or 7600k. And, assuming you have a nice motherboard for overclocking, a nice air cooler like an h7 or even an h5 (provided you have the room in your case) and a 7600k would still be cheaper than the 7700, and overclocked would give comparable if not better performance depending on how well binned your chip is.

Solution
Hi,
The i7-7700K, when overclocked would at best give about 10% FPS boost, however in practice it will likely be ZERO (ish) for most games and maybe up to 5% for a few.

With that setup you'll also easily achieve 75FPS anyway for most games at 1920x1080, and of course if FPS is an issue a few game settings can help a lot with sometimes minimal obvious visual difference for a large FPS boost.

(the i7-7700 already has a Max Turbo boost of 4.2GHz with the i7-7700K having 4.4GHz otherwise identical except OC which may or may not boost above 4.6GHz)