7700k/8700k in old Sandy Bridge mobo?

Apr 13, 2018
Currently I have an old system with a 2600 and Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 (rev 09 according to cpuz) and a 960 TI.

From what I have read I should be able to install a 7700k on this board. Will I be facing any big bottlenecks by not getting a new motherboard? I know with a new motherboard I will be using DDR4 which seems to not be a huge deal. Anything else? Just weighing the pros/cons of dropping an extra 300$ on motherboard/ram, especially when I can always upgrade that later. Any serious issues with just upgrading the CPU? It feels weird because this motherboard is pretty old but still seems to support the latest I7s since the chipset has not changed. Also, I am planning to drop a 1060 6GB in here if it matters.

Apr 13, 2018
That's too bad. I read on manufacturer website it supports LGA1155 but didn't realize it uses Z68. Guess I will have to build a new box from scratch. Thanks.

There is really no significant cpu upgrade for your motherboard as per the discussions above.

I suggest you go ahead and buy your new GTX1060 6gb and see how you do.
Your cpu should do ok for fast action games or multiplayer.

To get an idea of your cpu will be a limiting factor,, try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.