[SOLVED] 7700k can`t find stable voltages HELP!

Oct 3, 2019
Hi guys, i have a problem, i dont understand whats wrong with my motherboard, and why i cant use normal voltages for my chip.
So im usually testing my oc with OCCT,and even at 1.23v its starting make errors, my vccio - 0.95, vccsa - 1.05 atm, i tried different values.
Other side of question is temperatures, because i have 212 evo cant test huge vcore, so i need max safety 4.5 work without microstutter in games
Hope here will be somebody who familliar with z170p motherboards.
Please help!

Specs:
i7-7700k 4.5 1.248v
212 evo
Asus Z170-p
16 gb hyperx predator 3000mhz
PSU:Zalman-500LX
gtx 1080

Last edited:
Solution
So, my PSU forcing cpu to use more higher voltage? or i dumb? im upset cause people having 1.12 for 4.8, when i cant 1.23 for 4.5... And alot microstutters in games like cs:go
1)No.
2)No. You simply didn't do enough research on the matter. The results also aren't going to be the same for everyone - the quality of the silicon under the hood varies. Also, what @Karadjgne posted.

In bios:
-Load Line Calibration: no higher than the middle setting, or Level 4 on this mobo.
-Cpu current capability: middle setting again - 120%
-Cpu power phase: Optimized setting

You know what? Reset bios settings to their optimized defaults, go back into bios, enable Asus MultiCore Enhancement, save and exit bios.
Read up on some...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If the system is crashing even when using auto overclocks, then get a power supply that can handle overclocking.
Your current psu can't even deal with a little extra strain. I say a little, because that cpu should be capable of 4.8-4.9ghz, but you don't have the cooling for that.

Oct 3, 2019
If the system is crashing even when using auto overclocks, then get a power supply that can handle overclocking.
Your current psu can't even deal with a little extra strain. I say a little, because that cpu should be capable of 4.8-4.9ghz, but you don't have the cooling for that.
but why vcore for 4.5 so high? is it fault of motherboard? or im so unlucky with cpu silicone lottery? And its not crashing, just errors in OCCT test

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The motherboard is set to use a little extra voltage than necessary by default. Yet, even with that, you're not getting a stable 4.5ghz OC with this cpu.
4.5ghz is nothing for it. Here's a little chart with Silicon Lottery's recorded binning results for the 7700k:
Kaby LakeSSE FrequencyAVX 2 FrequencyVoltage% Capable
7700K4.80GHz4.60GHz1.400V100%
7700K4.90GHz4.70GHz1.412VTop 96%
7700K5.00GHz4.80GHz1.425VTop 78%
7700K5.10GHz4.90GHz1.437VTop 36%
7700K5.20GHz5.00GHz1.450VTop 12%
7700K5.30GHz5.10GHz1.450VTop 1%

Those errors mean the OC isn't stable.
You're not unlucky, your power supply can't deal with the extra power draw.

Oct 3, 2019
The motherboard is set to use a little extra voltage than necessary by default. Yet, even with that, you're not getting a stable 4.5ghz OC with this cpu.
4.5ghz is nothing for it. Here's a little chart with Silicon Lottery's recorded binning results for the 7700k:
Kaby LakeSSE FrequencyAVX 2 FrequencyVoltage% Capable
7700K4.80GHz4.60GHz1.400V100%
7700K4.90GHz4.70GHz1.412VTop 96%
7700K5.00GHz4.80GHz1.425VTop 78%
7700K5.10GHz4.90GHz1.437VTop 36%
7700K5.20GHz5.00GHz1.450VTop 12%
7700K5.30GHz5.10GHz1.450VTop 1%

Those errors mean the OC isn't stable.
You're not unlucky, your power supply can't deal with the extra power draw.
So, my PSU forcing cpu to use more higher voltage? or i dumb? im upset cause people having 1.12 for 4.8, when i cant 1.23 for 4.5... And alot microstutters in games like cs:go

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What it sounds like is lack of OC knowledge on your part. OC isn't just bumping up the multipliers and vcore to get faster speeds.

There's multiple settings that have to be adjusted for OC to see success. Disabling any and all eco settings like c-states, power phase controls, current limiters etc. There's also LLC that will need adjusting.

And that doesn't mention occt. Occt uses linpack, and AVX technologies which will give a false impression. While the cpu says it's at 100% loads, it's really not, it's closer to a 120-130% workload on the cpu. So temps are going to be far higher than can be expected for gaming. Occt also isn't a stable 100% load, it bounces rather erratically between @ 80% and 100%, so you'll not get a good baseline temp.

I'd strongly suggest you go into bios, reset to factory defaults and then start reading. Asus ROG forums is an excellent place to start. Those boys there are all about OC. What you are looking for isn't just specifics, but the theory. OC theory is all the same, it'll apply to any skylake/kabylake cpu on any mobo. Just the names might be different.

What you'll be looking for is what ppl have tried, what seems to work better, what failed to make a difference, what's getting adjusted or disabled or enabled.

Reactions: CompuTronix

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)No.
2)No. You simply didn't do enough research on the matter. The results also aren't going to be the same for everyone - the quality of the silicon under the hood varies. Also, what @Karadjgne posted.

In bios:
-Load Line Calibration: no higher than the middle setting, or Level 4 on this mobo.

You know what? Reset bios settings to their optimized defaults, go back into bios, enable Asus MultiCore Enhancement, save and exit bios.
Read up on some overclocking guides, like this one: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1621347-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-statistics.html
[I would post this site's overclocking stickies, but the links appear to be broken...]

Solution
Oct 3, 2019
1)No.

In bios:

Read up on some overclocking guides, like this one: https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1621347-kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-statistics.html
[I would post this site's overclocking stickies, but the links appear to be broken...]
got it, thanks man.
Its enabled by default, what you can say about "Internal PLL Voltage" cause i really don`t understand value for it.

TRENDING THREADS