Question 7700k high temps and can't undervolt

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
So I've been having some issues with my 7700k's temps. I have an ASUS H110M-A mobo. At idle, temps sit around 38c-45c, and while gaming, they can hit above 90c depending on the game. I ran Prime 95 and the temps hit 100c immediately so I stopped because that's the threshold for the CPU. I've done no overclocking, and I am running the Cryrorig H7, with two 120mm fans on the top and rear (1 each) as exhaust and one 140mm and one 120mm as intake on the front of the case. In CPU-Z, it said that the core voltage was in between 1.200 and 1.300, but the BIOS said the core voltage was 1.120v, so I tried undervolting to 1.115v to see if it would lower the temps at all, but the system blue screened before I could even open Prime 95. I've already reapplied the thermal paste to see if that would work, but nothing changed, and I am sure the cooler is seated properly. Also, I don't think this is related to the temp issue, but I tried updating the chipset from Asus's website and noticed a decrease in FPS in some games, so I tried updating them from Intel's website, but I don't believe anything changed. I have no idea what is causing the high temps, my cable management is adequate and the voltage is around what most stock 7700k's are running at from what I've seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020
I'm using a 7700k in my other rig oc'd to 4.6 @1.170 and it never runs hot idle same as yours, gaming 1440 p sometimes for hours it runs 65-70c i'm using the nzxt kraken x63. I had a 2600k that started to run hot just before it died. Your cooler should be fine maybe try leaving the case side panel off see if it helps..

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
I'm using a 7700k in my other rig oc'd to 4.6 @1.170 and it never runs hot idle same as yours, gaming 1440 p sometimes for hours it runs 65-70c i'm using the nzxt kraken x63. I had a 2600k that started to run hot just before it died. Your cooler should be fine maybe try leaving the case side panel off see if it helps..
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what's causing these temps, the main thing I think it is is just the general airflow in the case. I actually took the side panel off a little after I posted this and now I'm getting max 80c-82c, which is a lot better than before. I'm still a little confused, but I have read a little about my case and apparently it's pretty hard to get good airflow even with max case fans.

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
i would Check if your cooler is working. i have a i7 7700k and i had it under a Corsair H100ti V2 and the cpu would hit 100c while playing battlefield 1 and i found out the AIO was bad when i replaced the AIO with a cheaper $50 one the temps never went over 70c also to note that the i7 7700k has horrible Thermal compound under the IHS because intel Cheaped out on it. alot of people actually Delided the 7700k to get better thermals but i don't recommend you do that period.

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
i would Check if your cooler is working. i have a i7 7700k and i had it under a Corsair H100ti V2 and the cpu would hit 100c while playing battlefield 1 and i found out the AIO was bad when i replaced the AIO with a cheaper $50 one the temps never went over 70c also to note that the i7 7700k has horrible Thermal compound under the IHS because intel Cheaped out on it. alot of people actually Delided the 7700k to get better thermals but i don't recommend you do that period.
I would have to buy another cooler to check if this one is actually working, right? I might do that later but I think for now, I'll just bare with having the side panel off and getting the lower temps, but thanks for the suggestion.

Feb 17, 2020
Good to hear your temps go down with panel off I'd leave it off, the 7700k for me is one of my favorites it will oc very well. If you keep that cpu maybe an AIO I know their spendy but some cpu's do run cooler them not all the 7700k does I know cuz I've used one of my air coolers it made a difference for me. Delidding is a good option but you'll need the tool stay away from liquid metal it works best but is a pain in the rear and can kill your cpu. Stick with a good thermal compound. Good luck

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
Good to hear your temps go down with panel off I'd leave it off, the 7700k for me is one of my favorites it will oc very well. If you keep that cpu maybe an AIO I know their spendy but some cpu's do run cooler them not all the 7700k does I know cuz I've used one of my air coolers it made a difference for me. Delidding is a good option but you'll need the tool stay away from liquid metal it works best but is a pain in the rear and can kill your cpu. Stick with a good thermal compound. Good luck
Thanks, yeah I'll think about delidding, but I'll probably just end up getting an AIO down the line.

tlavanway3

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
if you do Delid the CPU I HIGHLY advise you to go on ebay or whatever u use and get a Fully Copper IHS to replace the current one with, they are cheap and make a pretty damn good decrease in temps when paired with good Thermal compound. =) I think intel and AMD should have the IHS fully copper to begin with but it is what it is.

haaris.hasan03

Reputable
Jul 14, 2018
if you do Delid the CPU I HIGHLY advise you to go on ebay or whatever u use and get a Fully Copper IHS to replace the current one with, they are cheap and make a pretty damn good decrease in temps when paired with good Thermal compound. =) I think intel and AMD should have the IHS fully copper to begin with but it is what it is.
I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the help.

Minetje

Prominent
Apr 30, 2020
Please don't, that's actually a bad idea, assuming you are planning on using some form of liquid metal like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut to replace the Intel paste. That stuff is really good at 2 things : conducting heat and dissolving copper. And I know you only apply a really thin layer so it won't destroy the heat spreader but it will eat it's way into the metal, effectively drying up so there won't be anything conducting the heat from the chip to the ihs.
It's better to use the Intel stock ihs (which is also made of copper) because that one is covered in a thin layer of nickel and that won't react with liquid metal

TRENDING THREADS