7700k or 7600k

Long story short my work computer let out the smoke yesterday morning, was running a i7 980x. So Im building a new computer for home and doing the computer shuffle to repurpose older computers.

Work computer was i7 980x with 4 GTX 670's ill be selling off 2 670's to a friend and keep two for my new office computer.
Lan party rig at said friends house is a 2600k with a 780 ti classified
Home computer is a 4670k with a 980 SC

SO my thoughts on moving parts
2600k with 2 670's to work
4670k with 780 ti for LAN
z270 build with 980 for home so far my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p6LmTH

I just cant figure out if I should go with the 7700k or just get the 7600k, everything I do now works fine on the 4670k

The only cons for the 7700k is the extra $100 price and heat, which im ok with doing the de-lid mod to fix it.

Solution
"for top end gaming and workstation builds, the 7700K is the clear choice for 2017."
"The 7600K will likely be the most popular gaming CPU of 2017"
"comparing the 7600K vs the hyper-threaded 7700K highlights the relative strength of the 7700K for workstation performance."
-http://cpu.userbenchmark.com

The 7600K can save you some money (if your on a budget) yet the performance is good enough to run pretty much anything.
On the other hand the 7700K gaming and workstation performance is top notch. (but costs more)

Personally I'd get the i5 but I'm frugal when it comes to spending.
"for top end gaming and workstation builds, the 7700K is the clear choice for 2017."
"The 7600K will likely be the most popular gaming CPU of 2017"
"comparing the 7600K vs the hyper-threaded 7700K highlights the relative strength of the 7700K for workstation performance."
-http://cpu.userbenchmark.com

The 7600K can save you some money (if your on a budget) yet the performance is good enough to run pretty much anything.
On the other hand the 7700K gaming and workstation performance is top notch. (but costs more)

Personally I'd get the i5 but I'm frugal when it comes to spending.

Solution

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Personally I would go with the i7 7700k. Gaming is at a point where 4C/4T aren't cutting as well as they use to. They are still some good CPUs but the number of posts I respond to on Tom's has ballooned in the last year in regards to even the newest i5 bottlenecking GPUs in a number of games. Some of that of course depends on what you're playing. But with games like BF1 (especially large multiplayer servers), Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands and I even had one with The Division recently where upgrading from an i5 4670K to a i7 4790K brought the OPs frame rate up a solid 12 FPS (min, max and average) at the same OC and it eliminated all stuttering in game. On BF1 I reply to several threads a week with i5 issues with bottlenecking. Most folks are going with i7 drop in solutions for a fix while others are going Ryzen. ATM in gaming 4C/8T have been my entry level gaming recommendation up from the 4C/4T it was last year. Ideally 6C/12T or even higher if game streaming. i5 4c/4T CPUs had a good run but their days are numbered in mainstream gaming, I specify core/threads because coffee lake is supposed to have i5s with 6C/6T and even possibly 6C/12T according to some rumors. Intel is trying hard to counter ryzen and thus considering the higher threaded part to be included with i5 branding at lower clocks/cache then their i7 counter parts.

That is the other thing you could consider. Going with a Ryzen build like a R5 1600 or even r7 1700 for even less money then the i5 (to the R5) or i7 (to the R7) would cost you.

the price to replace the old 1366 is about $300 plus getting a new motherboard waterblock since this one leaked and caused the issue. For that price I figured it would be a good excuse to just build a new system. Work is picking up the tab on the ram, OS and anything else I might be able to sneak in. The 980 is fine for now, was planning on a new build once whatever is replacing the 1080ti comes out from Nvidia.

I have plenty of SSD/HDD PSU's just laying around so its really just the core parts that im needing to buy.

@ Gingerbread work load is not that much. the biggest was running BlueIris on the computer but now that its dead I reloaded it on a server that was doing nothing. The biggest thing will be AutoCAD, remote desktop to the servers, and Microsoft office. I think my webpage usage tops most of that by ram usage most of the time.

I have a feeling when the time comes to buy the CPU it will be more of a want/need. Do I need in NO, do I want it YES. I originally wanted to go with a x299 build but have toned it down to the z270 build.

Then if you are using dedicated cards on every PC, why not go the ryzen route? You could get an R7 1700 for the same price. I'm not saying it just because Ryzen is better or because I'm an AMD fan but judging by your setups you are an enthusiast so you might be curious about the new AMD as well.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Using Ryzen only if you are trying to save money. Why would we use Ryzen when Intel beats AMD at Desktop for home Or as a gaming PC. The i7 7700K has no match for home use. Single core speed is +37% compared to Ryzen 7 1700 .

I hate to call my self one but im an intel fanboy, have always bought and played with intel's. Even back in the day when AMD was better then intel I still bought the P4.

Over the last 7 years ive kind of stapled my builds down to
CPU intel
MB Asus ROG
Ram Mushkin/G.Skill
GPU EVGA
PSU EVGA
SSD/HDD Intel/WD

I just never see myself buying a AMD cpu, maybe I would change my mind If I played around with one but no one I know runs AMD cpus and im not about to go buy one for the heck of it.

Double the cores double the threads. And the performance is not 36%, in gaming it's even less. Also for home appliance since you can't push the Intel to more than 50%, those 36% won't really matter.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Actually you are right single core performance after both been overclocked if the i7 is running at 5GHz is up 37%, still a full 1GHz higher than the1700
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700/3647vs3917

Which you can't utilize pretty much anywhere.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Really ???? Faster clock speeds means more responsiveness when running heavy linear tasks such as running single-threaded applications. Most programs still function in a linear fashion, making use of only one core per program. In these cases, clock speed is king. For desktop use NO-ONE beats The i7700K NO-ONE lets be clear as of 2017 the i7 7700K is the King of home computing
Why? because it can run 8 threads cores at 4.5 GHz (5GHz) Good overclocking potential). The i7 7700K will be remembered for many years like the old i7 2600K. Intel's IPC still higher than AMD.

Doing a little more reading and I think im going to hold off till next month and see if coffee lake will drop. Ill just move my 2600k to work and then move my 4670k between my house and my friends for gaming. Id hate to build this and coffee lake drop next week, I have the time and can wait.