7700k? Or 8700k and New Motherboard?

Jun 14, 2018
I did search around and couldn't find an answer to my specific situation.

I managed to get my hands on an ASUS Strix 1080ti for retail price a few months ago. My i5-6600k is struggling to keep up. Mainly this is because I use a second monitor for video for my wife and I.

I'm running 144hz 1440p monitors and have little trouble hitting those framerates with graphics adjustments. When I start playing video on the second monitor my CPU pegs and I notice a good 15-30fps drop depending on the game.

Do I get the 7700k and keep my really good motherboard? Or bite the bullet and grab the 8700k and a new board?

Price difference is about $210 between new board and cost difference in chips.

Solution
i'd do the 7700k in that case personally. it might be a hassle getting windows reactivated with the new board depending on how/where you purchased it. also, its not such a huge performance difference that you should replace a good, working board. plus, there's the price savings between the chips as you mentioned. overall its a pretty bad value going with the 8700k in your situation.
i'd do the 7700k in that case personally. it might be a hassle getting windows reactivated with the new board depending on how/where you purchased it. also, its not such a huge performance difference that you should replace a good, working board. plus, there's the price savings between the chips as you mentioned. overall its a pretty bad value going with the 8700k in your situation.

Solution
For gaming alone the 8600k currently, will not provide better fps. The 7700k would be the better choice I'd you are strictly trying to keep the overall costs of your system down. The 7700k will get the most out of that 1080ti for now, that would be my choice. Then in the future you could overhaul your whole system when you are ready to upgrade. If you go with 8600k you won't see any real added benefit at huge cost to your wallet. I'd rather have the 8600k, but the 7700k is clearly the better option for this scenario

Jun 14, 2018

I am specifically ruling out the i5. I know from benchmarks and personal accounts that it is not worth jumping from the 8600k to the 8700k for gaming. The difference is so small it's non existent unless the games can utilize more cores efficiently.

My question between the 7700k and the 8700k is will the previous model hold up to the multitasking I'm asking of it for the reduced price.