7700K or 8700K Confusion.

windyborough

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Hi,

Quick question for you guys, as the title says I'm confused between building a PC with 7700K now or wait till 8700K is announced & available.

Not upgrading from Z170 or Sandybridge so I do need to upgrade/build no matter what. Currently Quad core extreme on EVGA 790i motherboard so an upgrade is way overdue!

At the moment I narrowed it to Asus Maximus Formula + 7700K and over the weekend the rumors of Coffee Lake came out and that had me thinking that wait or not?

I'm not sure once the Coffee Lake is announced, the price of 7700K will drop or not, and by how much. At the moment its about £310 to £325. Shall I wait for 8700K or build now. The idea of 6 core 8700K is very tempting along with new standard Wi-Fi + Bluetooth + other features which lack on my current process is very, very tempting.

What is your expert opinion and what do you guys think would be the pricing of 8700K at the time of launch?

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

Cheers

Solution
If folks want/need the add in cards, little sound box extensions, wi-fi cards, or 10 GB ethernet port/included NIC, everyone is of course free and welcome to look at whatever mainboard they feel offers their unique /set need of features. (Little goofy shrouds covering everything and making them look like functional heatsinks, I won't address. It seems popular now to cover M.2 drives, and refer to them as 'heat sinks'....functionality seems limited, as many M.2 drives thermally throttle... until the matching color coded shrouds are removed...

As for wireless, some folks need it, want it, love it, but, it is at least a partial security risk, and, many just make do with wired connection to a router.

As for 10 GB/ethernet, I'd be...
Why not just go for a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 5?
Performance isn't far apart, Ryzen comes with all the extra cores and threads.

Nobody knows when the 8700k will really be available and what it'll be priced and how the 7700k will be priced alongside.
Usually you see minor price drops between newer generation (around 15-25 bucks), but it could be different as the 8700k will most likely be a hexacore.

Generally cpu prices don't go down much, just look at the 6700k. They just become harder to find.

If you can wait I would. As long as Intel don't cripple the single core performance a 6 core i5 should hopefully perform as good as prior generation i7's seeing as hyperthreading only adds up to an extra 30% performance.

However the leaks of coffee lake seem to indicate lower clock speeds but as all the leaks are about engineering samples its quite likely the production CPU's will be higher clocked. The IPC is likely to be very similar to current generation as the underlying platform is the same but hopefully with a little refinement.

If the core speed is reduced it may turn out that the 7700k is a better gaming cpu which will leave coffee lake with little to differentiate itself from Ryzen.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Personally I'll wait for the 8700k, intel IPC still better than AMD. Imagine the i7 7700k with 2 extra cores that's the i7 8700K. It will be the very best at Gaming just like the i7 700K at the moment

Agree but to me the possibly exciting cpu is the 6 core i5. If not crippled in speed there is no reason for it not to compete with last gen i7's. So top end gaming performance for i5 prices. All speculation but it would give Intel a strong position in the market.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Yes we will have The i5-8600K 6 pure cores with hyperthreading disabled. It could be the king for gamers. But personally I'll be looking at buying the i7 8700K just for fun because the i5 8600K will be more than enough

https://videocardz.com/70978/intel-preparing-multiple-6-core-coffee-lake-cpus

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

According to Tweaktown The new i7 8700K engineering sample clocks in higher than previous leaks, with a base clock of 3.5GHz and a maximum multiplier of 43, hinting at a huge 4.3GHz boost clock. For a 6C/12T processor at 4.3GHz, we could be in for quite the beast in the 12-thread processor game. AMD's current Ryzen 5 1600X processor clocking in at 4GHz under XFR, 300MHz shy of Intel's upcoming Core i7-8700K. It looks like is a 5GHz processor after been overclocked

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/58521/intels-new-core-i7-8700k-cpu-detailed-6c-12t-4-3ghz/index.html

If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
If you have a need now, buy now.
My take is that the I7-7700K is currently the best gamer available now.
It is no slouch on multithreaded apps either.
If you are not using a top graphics card like a GTX1080ti, you can get away with most anything.
Here is a comparison between I7-7700K and 6 core I7-7800X for gaming using a GTX1080ti
https://www.techspot.com/review/1445-core-i7-7800x-vs-7700k/
7700K is equal or better in every case.
The takeaway is that the extra threads do not overcome the even small difference in clock speed.
I would expect to see similar results from a ryzen comparison.

FWIW
As of 6/9/17
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-7700K
4.9 83%
5.0 62%
5.1 29%
5.2 6%

Cromwell__

Prominent
May 31, 2017

Can't tell you what to do, but I am currently in the market for a new PC and I am personally waiting for the 8700k to come out and be reviewed. At that point I will either get it or a Ryzen 5 or 7... basically whichever wins the gaming benchmarks between the 8700k and a Ryzen 5 or 7.

Yes the 7700k is the "top dog" in gaming right now, but I believe that it will not last into the future because of a lack of cores. I think a slightly slower processor with 2+ extra cores is a better bet right now, even if 2017 games run at a few less FPS. I think it'll pay off in 2018 and 2019 and 2020 when I still have the same PC and games are more optimized for 6+ cores. Theoretically. ;)

windyborough

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
First of all thanks for all the feedback you guys have provided, much appreciate your help.

Secondly, let's start with AMD RYZEN, nothing against AMD and I believe it's good for everybody that they are back in the game and hopefully because of that prices from Intel will drop. here's to hoping!

I did looked into AMD boards and to be honest the few hundred lower clocks on AMD does not bother me at all. What does that relates to games? 10 or 15 fps loss? I can live with that since AMD is a less expensive option rather than a cheap option. Plus it don't leave a hole in the pocket. All good on AMD front. Did looked into the threadripper options and they do look promising, if go that route still have to wait for them to be available. No worries.

Thirdly, yes have been Intel user all life, not a fanboy or hardcore loyalist of Intel, let's be honest that since just recently Intel was and had been the only option for high end gaming rigs. So they milked the cow as much they could and if I and others can save a few quid and get something competitive from Intel, why not? That means, wait till Coffee Lake is officially announced and the reviews are in. As mentioned by your guys, if its single core performance is good, it's a good option. Depending again how Intel will price is. But one thing which I believe is that Intel can not ask for a premium price tag now. Hopefully not!

Fourthly, The machine will be purely for gaming, photoshoping and editing 4K videos. So I do agree that since the leaks suggests they will announce it in August, waiting for it in not a bad idea perhaps.

So what I've taken from the discussion so far is, go RYZEN Threadripper or Coffee Lake, have to wait and see. I just might get Threadripper because Asus's Zenith motherboard looks just to hard to pass.

GPU vise, EVGA 1080ti FTW3 is what I have been thinking, mainly because have used 2 of their cards before and not a single problem or anything. Memory G.Skill 32GB and since I sell SSD's, I'm good on that front.

Much appreciate your help guys. I think it's best to have an open mind for AMD and let's see what Intel brings to the table. if it's decent and priced in an orderly manner, why not. If not, AMD is looking good already and very promising. Just don't want to think and say to myself, o should've waited for a few weeks more. All you guys have been very helpful in clearing many things and I appreciate it a lot. Very difficult to pick the person for best answer since all of you brought something good to the discussion!

Once again cheers guys and girls for your time and help. I will keep an eye open for the new leaks and many thanks for the links which many have you shared. Much appreciated. Cheer.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

i7 7700K is best for gaming by a fair 20-25% margin due to better IPC & higher overclocking potential.

windyborough

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I agree, all the reviews I've seen clearly suggests that 7700K is king in gaming at the moment. It's a tight race and an interesting one in my opinion. Since I'm upgrading from a very old platform/chipset I want to upgrade and get the most I can at the present time, including, keeping an eye on to the upcoming CPU which by the leaks, is not far out. If leaks are half right then we will know what 8700K is all about including pricing and all that.

Yes gaming on 1440p or 4K and a GTX 1080ti is a must have.

All of the Maximus/Gaming/ROG/Lightning/Fata1itty monikers are useless, and, seem to add/waste $50-$150 extra on a Z270 board...which is ludicrous...

The Asus Z270A Prime and the MSI Z270 SLI Plus have everything you need, and little BS crap you do not...; usually the two boards above can be had for $140 or less....

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

Let me prove you wrong :p

The Maximus VIII Extreme is truly a unique product, and the only thing it lacks is a PLX bridge for 3 and 4-way SLI. Half of the premium features that boost its price are designed for hardcore overclocking and the other half are featured for hardcore power users. The board has the latest in internal storage, external storage, and networking technology and performs quite well in IO benchmarks. The Editor's Choice Award is a special award set aside for over the top products designed to exceed everything else on the market, and the Maximus VIII Extreme does this in many ways.

7414_122_asus-maximus-viii-extreme-intel-z170-motherboard-review.png
7414_130_asus-maximus-viii-extreme-intel-z170-motherboard-review_full.png

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7414/asus-maximus-viii-extreme-intel-z170-motherboard-review/index11.html

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

So you wont notice The difference? Who are those stupid people paying for stuff like:

An all-new dedicated EK cooling blocks
icTWrsLfecTIJuJD_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

twrbnt8FEJbbnVW0_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

Having, Studio quality audio Amplifier. So you enjoy audiophile-grade 32-bit/386kHz, and output of over 6VRMS to your favorite 600ohm headphones.
D6mi3ArkxDByfCI3_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

FASTEST ONBOARD WI-FI UP TO 1300Mbit/s
usb_32.jpg

DRAM Over-current Protection
rog_protection_7.jpg

ROG 10G EXPRESS
ULTRA-FAST TRANSFER SPEEDS:
With PCI Express 2.0 x2 performance, you'll experience up to 10Gbit/s Ethernet speeds — up to 10X faster than other motherboards.
GMS6FCcv0PVF4Mtv_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

People that think like that those are the ones that are ok just welding a couple of capacitors to the processors and Gluing the Graphics- Card to the motherboard PCB

We as enthusiast love when tech companies like Asus go for the extra mile and add features for those who appreciate the love for tech.

Is like saying who needs a Ferrari when you can just go and buy a minivan. Well I'm sorry but just like telling a Car lover to go buy a minivan. Is the same as telling any PC enthusiast go and buy a cheap featureless board.

mrjack2207

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I just upgraded to the 7700k and Hero IX last week and I must say it is quite impressive. I would advice getting the 7700k, because even if the 8700k came out next week, you wouldnt want to get it for a few months after, so all the teething problems can be fixed, thats what I did, i waited 6 months after the 7700k release to get it, now I don't have a chip plagued with the bad thermals the first chips did

if I don't use an EK custom loop, no I won't notice the difference.

Having, Studio quality audio Amplifier. So you enjoy audiophile-grade 32-bit/386kHz, and output of over 6VRMS to your favorite 600ohm headphones.
if you use 100$ headphones or even worse, ome USB gaming headset --- and this is actually the majority of people --- no you won't notice the difference

FASTEST ONBOARD WI-FI UP TO 1300Mbit/s
and how many people have a) an internet connection that can actually achieve 1,3Gbit/s? and b) how many people have a server at home with that kind of infrastructure?

DRAM Over-current Protection
unless you're doing overclocking to a degree where you actually use the custom EK loop and move from water to other liquids, I can't see this feature being really convincing. nice to have, for sure, but hardly necessary for most people who just enable XMP on their RAM sticks.

of course it's a nice board.
but to put it into your words: I don't need a Ferrari if I need a car to get to work on the other side of downtown where traffic and speed limits only allow for 35 km/h anyway.
unless you got to compensate something.

rderubeis

Honorable
Mar 15, 2015

Ya but even games that are using more then 4 cores the 7700k still wins over ryzen which has more cores.