Question 7700k overheating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 2, 2021
I have a 7700k with h110i water cooling. Originally it was oc 5.2ghz and idled 70c with peaks of 87c. Now (four years later), it's 70c idling in Windows but during gaming is averaging 90-100c, even though I've dropped overclock to 4.4ghz. I have repasted and reseated my cpu. Is my processor dead or my AIO cooler, or something else?

(This only started happening after latest Windows feature update)

That's why a good many coolers these days, UNLIKE the 212 EVO, are either offset towards the back, or have a significant cutout in the fins in the front, or both, to ensure clearance with tall memory modules. But again, I get it that air cooled heatsink fan coolers are not for everybody and won't work at all in some configurations.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
That's why a good many coolers these days, UNLIKE the 212 EVO, are either offset towards the back, or have a significant cutout in the fins in the front, or both, to ensure clearance with tall memory modules. But again, I get it that air cooled heatsink fan coolers are not for everybody and won't work at all in some configurations.
I also really like the fact that my AIO exhausts the air out of the case instead of dumping it into the case. The AIO looks much cleaner as well. I did have to replace the fans already because one of them was making a squeak. I was lucky enough to find black Noctua fans. Those old brown ones were awful looking.