[SOLVED] 7700k upgrade

STRIKER_RU

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015
Hello dear experts! Currently, I'm running my 7700k (not OC) build paired with B250 mobo and 16GB of 2400 RAM. I use my PC primarily for gaming with my GTX 2070 SUPER on 1440 p 60 hz display. So 60FPS for games are OK for me. I am not planning to buy a new GPU (obviously you can not find 3070 or 3080 at msrp price so I decided to wait). My question is it time to upgrade my CPU as games are becoming more demanding of cores/threads (Cyberpunk and others) or I can keep my build and play for a year or so. Am I CPU limited for upcoming games and current ones? My thoughts are INTEL 10700F (dropped power limit to reach 4.6 Hz) and Z490 mobo with faster RAM. I would be grateful for all your comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Prelim leaked prices (in Euros) are/were showing 11th gen priced similar to 10th gen...

I suspect Intel knows they certainly cannot (well, should not, anyway) price their products higher than 5600X, or 5800X...(and hope to sell them, barring continuation of the near-total unavailability for 5600X)

If your 7700K is still cranking out 60FPS minimums sufficiently, I'd not upgrade just yet anyway... (Mine does just fine, although mine runs 4.7 GHz all-core under load for slightly elevated boost, largely useless since playing on a GTX1060 on a 60 fps TV monitor anyway)

Don't upgrade just because something faster is out; upgrade when what you have is no longer adequate.

as for 8 cores 'soon' being the new gaming 'bare minimum' shortly...
Are there games where you feel the 7700K is not currently capable of even meeting 60 FPS minimums due to the processor itself? For instance, if your frame rates jump dropping down to 1080P, then the GPU is limiting you, not the CPU)

Of course, if you are a live streamer, then 4c/8t is not enough, as streaming would certainly place too much load on it, so we'll assume you mean just basic gaming for now).

However, with if you were already getting 70 FPS in game 'x', then jumping to even 100- 120 FPS would seem of somewhat dubious value on a 60 FPS monitor...

As the 5000-series Ryzens are in short supply and/or overpriced for the ones that are available, then the R5-3600X or 3700X would be viable options, and certainly each is faster than the stock-clocked 7700K.

If looking at a 10700, you should want the 'K' or 'KF' variant in my opinion, especially with a decent Z490 mainboard.

If you can wait two months, then you can see what (if anything) Z590 and 11700K/11900K bring to the table...

STRIKER_RU

Honorable
Apr 17, 2015
Thanks for your reply, by today I am 100% satisfied with my framerates and have no issues at all. All games are 60+ fps. So my big concern is the potential price hike on 11th gen intel mobos and CPUs. 3600x and 3700x seems to me like a good option but as far as I know, INTEL's 10700F (KF) has an advantage in gaming and as to upgrade I would like to stick with 8/16 option for futureproof myself (as gaming consoles are 8/16 I think it's a new standard for gaming). Here I am thinking upgrade now or wait what INTEL will offer with 11th gen but still afraid of a price hike.

Prelim leaked prices (in Euros) are/were showing 11th gen priced similar to 10th gen...

I suspect Intel knows they certainly cannot (well, should not, anyway) price their products higher than 5600X, or 5800X...(and hope to sell them, barring continuation of the near-total unavailability for 5600X)

If your 7700K is still cranking out 60FPS minimums sufficiently, I'd not upgrade just yet anyway... (Mine does just fine, although mine runs 4.7 GHz all-core under load for slightly elevated boost, largely useless since playing on a GTX1060 on a 60 fps TV monitor anyway)

Don't upgrade just because something faster is out; upgrade when what you have is no longer adequate.

as for 8 cores 'soon' being the new gaming 'bare minimum' shortly because of consoles, we've been hearing that for 3.5 years...and, it has still yet to come close to reality.

Solution