[SOLVED] 7700x

Oct 29, 2022
Hey there, Just built a pc couple weeks ago. I feel the temps are running high. CPU (tctl/tdie) is always around 54c and will spike to 68-70 when just having browser open. Also seen spikes out of no where to 80c+. While running furmark 4k uhd test cpu goes to 65c. while playing Apex legends getting 80c with spikes to 95c which I think is cpu max. Seems too hot.

Also when I installed the aio I did the blob method and maybe should be repasted with X to improve the thermal conductivity. msi mag c240 aio which had good reviews on memoryexpress (where I bought everything and based my purchase on their reviews) but on newegg its got terrible reviews.... if I knew I would have purchased a diff AIO cooler. could need a beefy-er cooler?

Monitoring with HWinfo and Ryzen master any insight and info will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
cinebench score 18K+

System info
MSI MPG Gungnir 110r case
asus x670-e
7700x
32gb ddr5 5600
3080 oc tuf
msi mag c240 aio
970 evo 2tb
Thermaltake smart 700 psu............ yes i know its short a connector for the mainboard. only using one 8pin on mainboard when it has 2 ports.... is this okay?

Last edited:
Solution
Idk why the vendor (or i guess i do, Money) sold me the msi stuff, I went in person and asked the guys there if the cooler and case where good! , its funny thou he pushed me to get the warrenty on the aio.... obv he knew the situation.
They're probably trying to get rid of excess or stale inventory. Two weeks is not long enough from what I've seen/read for the issues to pop up, and until you see the cooler sitting at max temperature, Msi isn't going to do much of anything either.
So they gotcha money, and got rid of stale inventory.

Take a look at this as well:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGuFq3jm9hM

It's not until all the cores are loaded that the 95C behavior happens. The...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
CPU (tctl/tdie) is always around 54c and will spike to 68-70 when just having browser open.
Normal.

While running furmark 4k uhd test gpu goes to 65c. while playing Apex legends getting 80c with spikes to 95c which I think is cpu max.
Furmark loads and game loads are not the same. Use it to test how capable the gpu cooler is, and nothing more.
The latter is also normal, especially if:
-the front of the case offers little in the way of air intake.
-there's a rear exhaust fan right next to said top exhaust AIO/CLC stealing air from it, when it could've been used to provide a 2nd source of air intake to the cooler.
-there's a 300+ watt gpu dumping its waste heat in the PC.
-the gpu was overclocked, making it dump even more heat inside, which has to pass through the top AIO/CLC.

Games don't see high power use from cpus at all. Those temperatures are compounded from other sources, like I pointed out above. A 240mm is more than capable of handling the sub 100w from a 7700X.
Also, I didn't know Msi Afterburner could be used to overclock cpus...

The news is all over the net now, but the Msi's MAG and MPGs are hot, high failure garbage. Even the Version 2s don't seem to be any better.
MEGs are stable, but more expensive.
I don't think you've had it nearly long enough for it to start failing - I could be wrong - but replace it anyway as it's only a short matter of time.

Another also: A 3080 with a Thermaltake Smart series? Many here would definitely be against that combination, of which connectors would be the least of their concerns...

Reactions: DynamicSlayer
Oct 29, 2022
Wow thank you for the reply! means a lot to me!

While running furmark 4k uhd test gpu goes to 65c. while playing Apex legends getting 80c with spikes to 95c which I think is cpu max. Seems too hot.

Shoot I meant to say CPU temp not GPU

So should I flip the back fan around for more intake?

PSU is from my old comp, What would you recommend?

Wish i knew that about the msi stuff... juts passed my 2 week return period..

so all in all its pretty normal!?

I’m still on am4, but all the reviews I’ve seen have essentially said those cpus run hot. A friend of mine bought a 7900x setup at microcenter I think he said they told him an engineer at amd said it was designed to run that way. Some reviewers tried turning on eco mode which dropped temps but then you take a hit on performance as well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So should I flip the back fan around for more intake?
No fan at all, and just install a filter there. Flipping a fan will just T-bone into the pull from the radiator fans anyway, which isn't necessarily better.

PSU is from my old comp, What would you recommend?
RM750X or 850X, easy.

Unfortunate to hear about the cooler. You will end up having to buy another somewhere around 6 months or so.[Seems to be common time span for trouble.]
Be ready for it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey there, Just built a pc couple weeks ago. I feel the temps are running high. CPU (tctl/tdie) is always around 54c and will spike to 68-70 when just having browser open. Also seen spikes out of no where to 80c+. While running furmark 4k uhd test cpu goes to 65c. while playing Apex legends getting 80c with spikes to 95c which I think is cpu max. Seems too hot.

Also when I installed the aio I did the blob method and maybe should be repasted with X to improve the thermal conductivity. msi mag c240 aio which had good reviews on memoryexpress (where I bought everything and based my purchase on their reviews) but on newegg its got terrible reviews.... if I knew I would have purchased a diff AIO cooler. could need a beefy-er cooler?

Monitoring with HWinfo and Ryzen master any insight and info will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
cinebench score 18K+

System info
MSI MPG Gungnir 110r case
asus x670-e
7700x
32gb ddr5 5600
3080 oc tuf
msi mag c240 aio
970 evo 2tb
Thermaltake smart 700 psu............ yes i know its short a connector for the mainboard. only using one 8pin on mainboard when it has 2 ports.... is this okay?
This is right from AMD.

AMD has stressed that this behavior is by design and it's important to note TJMax is the maximum safe operating temperature -- not the absolute maximum temperature. AMD went on to say that 95C is not running hot, rather Zen 4 will intentionally go to this temperature under load because the power management system knows that this is the ideal way to squeeze the most performance out of the chip without damaging it. The processors are designed to run at TJMax 24/7 without risk of damage or deterioration they added.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2537-amd-ryzen-7700x/

Oct 29, 2022
No fan at all, and just install a filter there. Flipping a fan will just T-bone into the pull from the radiator fans anyway, which isn't necessarily better.

RM750X or 850X, easy.

Unfortunate to hear about the cooler. You will end up having to buy another somewhere around 6 months or so.[Seems to be common time span for trouble.]
Be ready for it.

Okay I'll try that, makes sense, the AIO should be the sole exhaust instead of the two competing.

Def going to grab a new psu

Idk why the vendor (or i guess i do, Money) sold me the msi stuff, I went in person and asked the guys there if the cooler and case where good! , its funny thou he pushed me to get the warrenty on the aio.... obv he knew the situation.

Oct 29, 2022
This is right from AMD.

AMD has stressed that this behavior is by design and it's important to note TJMax is the maximum safe operating temperature -- not the absolute maximum temperature. AMD went on to say that 95C is not running hot, rather Zen 4 will intentionally go to this temperature under load because the power management system knows that this is the ideal way to squeeze the most performance out of the chip without damaging it. The processors are designed to run at TJMax 24/7 without risk of damage or deterioration they added.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2537-amd-ryzen-7700x/

thank you for posting this!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They're probably trying to get rid of excess or stale inventory. Two weeks is not long enough from what I've seen/read for the issues to pop up, and until you see the cooler sitting at max temperature, Msi isn't going to do much of anything either.

It's not until all the cores are loaded that the 95C behavior happens. The 'starting point' literally changes when this happens, and it's by design.

Solution
Oct 29, 2022

It's not until all the cores are loaded that the 95C behavior happens. The 'starting point' literally changes when this happens, and it's by design.

Yeah wow thanks! That was a great video, watched the whole thing, seems its operating exactly as designed! kind of wish I had bought the 7950x now but that's okay, and when I built this the new intel chips weren't out yet but came out days later, wasn't following the news.

Oct 29, 2022
Good thing for you is soon they’ll likely have 3d versions of the cpus so you might be able to resell the cpu later and get a faster one. If they have support like they had on am4, for example my b350 board is from 2017-2018 but still runs a 5900x.

the AM5 socket is supposed to be around for a few gens so im stoked for that.

I’d say a couple maybe. I don’t know how they will handle it. My b350 board I’ve gotten my mileage. I’ve owned a ryzen 1200, 1600, returned the 1200 I think and got a 1600. I actually had a micro version of the AsRock ab350 pro 4, but someone wanted a gaming pc so I ended up doing upgrades and sold them that pc. I got a deal from my friend a few years ago on a 1700 for 100 bucks so ran that a while until I got a 3600. At one point I briefly had a 5600x but resold it because I wanted more power…yeah I know right? Then ended up with the 5900x. That cpu is probably the last ride for my am4 setup, but you can see how much I’ve been able to swap on this board over the years. No complaints.