7740x > 7700k > 6800k "Most futureproof"

zibbz95

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
Main concern is choosing between the 7700k and 6800k, but now there's also the 7740x with the x299 mobo's.

Processor speed vs amount of cores is already up for debate but I'm not good at overclocking and mainly use my rig to play games, office and some music editing. So question is of course which one to pick and wanna hear some valid arguments. To add to this topic: is it worth getting the 7740x with it's x299 mobo? Does anyone know how futureproof this tech is, like will it slowly become standard? I'm more concerned myself about x299 rather than the 7740x as it's not able to take full advantage of the doubled up ram and pci anyway and it would likely be overkill going for an even higher end X-series pcu.

The parts I've got left over and want to match is my two SSD sata drives, 750w Corsair PSU and Asus GTX 1060 3gb OC. I've been thinking about getting a second of those gpus but it's a no go with the 7740x and probably a no go whatsoever from what I've heard about the 1060s. I hear the gpu match well with the Asus x-99 a-II so it's leaning towards that which could also prover to be a better investment in terms of upgrading again layer, but then again that 4.2 GHz Speed seems to do wonders for most games opposed to 6-cores which I might not take full advantage of anyways.

Solution
If you're looking at the 7700K then you're looking at the Z270 chipset and not the X99/X299 chipsets. If you're looking at the X299 platform, it's not worth it IMHO since the X99 is a better deal to be had especially since the entry level i7's are more like a rebranded Kabylake processor part which would be better off on a Z270 motherboard.

SLI is apparently moot unless the apps you're running can take advantage of them. Nvidia have already stated that they offer support for SLI to the developers of apps and games but if they don't utilize this support, Nvidia can't enforce them to do so.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're looking at the 7700K then you're looking at the Z270 chipset and not the X99/X299 chipsets. If you're looking at the X299 platform, it's not worth it IMHO since the X99 is a better deal to be had especially since the entry level i7's are more like a rebranded Kabylake processor part which would be better off on a Z270 motherboard.

SLI is apparently moot unless the apps you're running can take advantage of them. Nvidia have already stated that they offer support for SLI to the developers of apps and games but if they don't utilize this support, Nvidia can't enforce them to do so.

Solution