Question 7740x on ROG stric x299-e with gtx 1080 and Samsung 970 EVO Plus will have pcie lanes bottleneck ?

Dec 28, 2019
Hello,

If I could ask someone please to enlighten me, I am still learning basics...
I built my first gaming rig 2 years ago, based it on ROG stric x299-e mobo and went for chepest 2066 socket cpu, 7740x assuming i will upgrade later to i9 7700x. Very fast I found out, that despite not having intel graphics and only being limited to 2 channel ram and 16 lanes this cpu is all i need for my gaming rig, very good single core performance, with my 16gb in two lanes i don't need more for gaming and 16 lanes for my single gpu gtx 1080, i don't need more than that. All games run perfect including VR. Over last two years all upgrades i did were case cooling, vanity things like rgb stuff, and drives that are all on sata connection. At the moment best upgrade i can do for my needs is m.2 drive for system. I found very nice samsung mz-v7e1t0bw 970 evo 1 TB which would speed me up about 5-6 times considering read/write speeds over my current system ssd. Thing I do not understand is... how does it use pcie lanes ? 7740x has only 16 and gtx 1080 uses those. If i understand things corectly m.2 needs 4 lanes. will it take those 4 from 16 and leave only 12 for gpu ? Please help the noob understand how this works :)

Clear brakedown of parts involved in the question if they will play nice together :
ASUS ROG stric x299-e
i7 7740x
GTX 1080 8gb
Samsung mz-v7e1t0bw 970 evo m.2

edit: spelling corrections

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019
@alexoiu Thank you swift reply !
Please help me learn, I have looked at exact same diagram i found on intels website before, but as I know jack ass... how do you know the m.2 slots are controlled by chipset ? I mean I can see this 24 x PCI Express 3.0 lanes but how do I know that m.2 uses those ? You know it by looking at this diagram please help me understand how so that I learn something.

You're welcome.
According to the manual, one of the slots shares bandwidth with SATA, that are controlled by the chipset, with no doubt. So that slot (M.2_1) is definitely controlled by it. On the other hand, according to the diagram, the CPU is in charge with graphics card and memory only. Therefore my conclusion was that both slots are controlled by the chipset.

Dec 28, 2019
I see. That does make sense, thank you. Issue pretty much resolved, but after drive arrives and is installed I will post an update if all worked fine, just for future if someone will be looking for smillar answer.

The 7740X ran about like a 7700K clocked at 4600 MHz, If I recall from the reviews of the time....

And, yes, it has the same limitednumber of PCI-e lanes available as the 7700K, as it effectively was the 7700K OC'd by another 100 MHz moved to the X299 board....; but, certainly there are enough lanes for an X4 lanes /PCI-e M.2 drive and a single 16 lanes GPU that 98% of most users will do....