775 socket.... Yeah or nah?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cabt

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Hi all. This forum was extremely helpful when I did my build some 4+ years ago. I used a gigabyte board that was highly recommended here that has the 775 socket. I think I am running the e2200 allendale if memory serves (no punn intended). Needless to say the old gal is showing her age, especially as I have recently tried to install Boxee on it to sister up with my Boxee box in the theater.....Ina any event, my system needs a jolt to keep up. Primary use is really just Internet. It will now hopefully serve as a media server too. I would really prefer to not spend more than a couple hundred bucks if at all possible. BTW, I am running 8 gig of RAM. So the questions are:

Is it worth upgrading the processor on my current board or is it a lost cause and will I only see a material benefit from a board and processor swap?

If I can keep my current board and upgrade the processor (fingers crossed) what is the way to go?

As always. Thanks in advance!

-Clayton

cmi86

Distinguished
Even though the 2100 series are a great dual core, going from one dual core to another is more of a side grade than anything else. The market is moving away from dual cores. Migh as well just buy a solid quad and sit with it instead of wasting the $$ on the i3 and having to upgrade later, just my opinion.

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Dual core VS 2 Core with hyperthreading. Two real cores and two virtual cores. 775 is dead but 1155 has at least another year of life with more as it fades to next gen. DDR3 is faster, dual channel and cheaper than DDR2. Power factor correction makes volts and amp sync in psu to make them more efficient like 80+ efficiency and up to low 90% with more expensive psu. More power to computer and less to heat. Audio on Motherboard. Gigabit Lan on Motherboard except some $50 boards on have 100 mb lan. Brand new with warranty not whipped by some other dude you don't know. Maybe an expert can help here, I am just a youngster, but I think the 1155 MB is all around better than the 775. For a few bucks more move up to USB 3.0, Sata III, on board fan controll, and lots of stuff.

Clayton: I got to 1156 and then 1155 by starting where you are. My Asus MB quit after is burned up my 1394 Sony video recorder, so I started looking at a new or used replacement. The new stuff is way ahead and in demand so priced competitively.

cmi86

Distinguished
IMHO a C2Q is pretty much comparable to my Phenom II. My phenom II sill does everything I ask, and I ask A LOT more than you are asking your machine. I am not disagreeing with megaman that an 1155 build would be great but in all reality the i3 even with it's hyperthreading (50% of a real core at best) will fall behind a solid C2Q when it comes to multi tasking (media serving and other tasks as you have stated) If cost effectiveness is the main priority then just drop a C2Q in it an be happy that it will do what you want. If you have the $$ and care to upgrade in the future than go ahead and build a new 1155 set up (new mobo, ram and cpu)

InvalidError

Titan

What does PFC have to do with a CPU or platform upgrade? PFC and 80+ certification are only applicable to the computer's bulk PSU, they have nothing to do with the CPU, motherboard or any other device.

Aside from that, for a very light use PC like the OP's, sprucing up the CPU if he can find something that is a major step up for under $150 is the cheapest way to go. If he can't, a platform upgrade for ~$250 might then make more sense.

An upgrade is an upgrade only if you actually need enough of the new stuff to justify the expense. All the OP wants is a little bit more processing power to be able to stream video over Boxee, any expense beyond that is wasted. The OP already has everything he needs for that in his existing system except the processing power which he is only slightly short of... he would likely be fine with a C2D-E8400 or possibly less.

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
The mother board tells the PSU how to correct the power factor. I don't think 775 mb had that feature. You can put an 80+ PSU in the 775 and it will run just like any other PSU to my knowledge (which I may be overstating here). What is DIGI + on new Asus board?
Aside from that, 150 for a dead end or under 200 for new life and performane which has upgrade paths.

I just looked at Asus site. They have P5 boards with dual channel DDR3 and other features, but here we are talking about an existing 775 board and new CPU.
If Tom's will bench test the two, I put my money on the 2100/1155 setup.

InvalidError

Titan

Not at all.

PSUs with active PFC have a boost-converter chip between the line rectifier and primary-side capacitor(s) that phase-locks with the line voltage and modulates the current to look more like a purely resistive load to the utility network. The ATX connectors provide absolutely no means for the computer to control anything beyond on/off, the CPU/motherboard is not involved in any way, shape or form with PFC.

I don't know the exact specifics of how it works, but my understanding has always been that more phases allows for more stable power delivery, hence why having more phases is better for high OC's.

MegaMan1

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

That jives with online search info.
Thank you and Thanks Invalid error.

InvalidError

Titan

No, it only means that the PWM regulator is splitting the load across 16 output channels, mainly to limit the power dissipation of each MOSFET and increase the effective switching frequency without increasing the turn-on/turn-off losses which enables them to use smaller and cheaper filtering components.

While all this can improve efficiency, stability, reliability and overclockability, it also enables manufacturers to use cheaper and smaller MOSFETs with smaller, simpler (if any) heatsinks and lower assembly costs.

So, the performance of multi-phase VRM is simply the silver lining of what otherwise is just as much a cost-cutting measure - this simply is the cheapest mean of meeting today's CPUs' power requirements.