780 Blew up finally

ExedosePC

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
So I left the other day and let my computer sit. Came home to just a lit keyboard, shut off monitor and tower. Decided to fire it up and BAM! sparks came flying out of my 780. Unplugged it, tried a different gpu slot and no turn over. Unhooked the gpu and ran it perfectly fine. My guess is the GPU is fried and done. Bad luck with gpus tbh, old 760 gave up so bought the 780. Had for 3 years exactly after this month. But my question is, which gpu would I be able to toss into my build instead of building a new complete build? I have an i7 4770k with an MSI-Z87 G45 Mobo. I have words saying it's my psu and don't know how to post a picture of the gpu but there is a burn mark on the back plate if that helps.

Thanks.

Solution
For 1080p 144Hz I would go minimum 1070 up to 1080. Your cpu is still very good with an overclock and should pair nicely with anything up to a 1080, I would expect a 1080Ti to be too much though.

artk2219

Distinguished

Who made your 780? Depending on the manufacturer, if they offered a 3 year warranty, you may be able to get them to help you out, especially if it was a catastrophic failure like that.

General_Cool

Distinguished

I would agree with that statement, which is why I went with a 1060 6GB or a 1070 as a recommendation, as it isn't overkill for the CPU.