780 SLI: Two 3 GB or 6GB?

Dtignor

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hey guys I am doing a build with two GTX 780's in SLI. Should I get the 3 GB versions or the 6 GB versions? P. S. I am going with the EVGA ACX cooling.

Solution

You should get the 6GB version. The extra vRAM will help at higher resolutions and just a note: Watchdogs uses 4GB of vRAM at Ultra settings at 1080p.

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

You should get the 6GB version. The extra vRAM will help at higher resolutions and just a note: Watchdogs uses 4GB of vRAM at Ultra settings at 1080p.

Solution

donger

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014
It depends on the resolutions you plan on running, and the amount of money you have to throw around. In a raw capability ratio, the 6GB cards are better, but if you're looking to save a couple hundred dollars, and aren't running 4K displays and the like, the 3GB cards will more than suffice.

Do you have any benchmarks proving this? I find it very hard to believe.

EDIT : Just something to add, using memory (as in buffering information) and NEEDING that information to be buffered for optimal performance, are two very different things. Keep that in mind.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

In my opinion, Watch_Dogs only need 3GB of VRAM. I've only got an R9 280x [which only has 3GB of VRAM] and I play this game on Ultra. I'm getting like 40 to 55 FPS. I think this game is both CPU and GPU intensive game. But, like other people have said, if you're gonna be playing Watch_Dogs or any game for that matter on 4k? Then the 6GB is sure your card!

XtremeAero426

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

This guy here is using more than 5GB of vRAM on ultra settings: http://www.overclock.net/t/1491316/gn-watch-dogs-on-pc-requires-3-gb-vram-for-ultra-quality-textures/210

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Looks like it was only that guy that was having that problem haha. I play this game on ultra with just 3GB of VRAM and I'm usually fine with it.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

Agreed... because like I said, I play this game on Ultra settings and I'm getting reasonable FPS. If I turn it down to High, I'm getting solid 60.

Gaidax

Distinguished
Get 6GB ones clearly. 3GB is pushing it, it is plenty enough for now, but there is at least one game already capable of using more than that in 2K resolution.

3GB is pretty standard now, really. And as you know, what is standard now will become weak later, so it only makes sense to have your ass covered in case VRAM heavy titles start popping out. Watch Dogs is the first of many, really.

I am pretty sure you want your SLI setup to last you 3 years or so, so prepare accordingly.