7800 compared to 6800 for non game activities?

Good Day,

Does the 7800 series provide better performance compared to the 6800
series for non-game activities? Or do they perform the same for 2D
programs?

I am referring to activities such as MS Office, Photoshop and HDTV
viewing and recording.

If these activities are improved, how are they improved?

GPUrookie

The resolution for HDTV seems to fluctuate to meet a manufacturers
marketing needs.

I can't even tell for sure if the 7800 componet-video will output
1920 by 1080i which my analog hdtv will accept.

I could go dvi to hdmi but I have found that there is too much
overscan.

GPUrookie

In article <1124711830.697431.41880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
GPUrooky says...
> Good Day,
>
> Does the 7800 series provide better performance compared to the 6800
> series for non-game activities? Or do they perform the same for 2D
> programs?
>
> I am referring to activities such as MS Office, Photoshop and HDTV
> viewing and recording.
>
> If these activities are improved, how are they improved?

There's no difference. You might as well get a budget 6200.

--
Conor

If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic
music.

shawk

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <1124711830.697431.41880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> GPUrooky says...
>> Good Day,
>>
>> Does the 7800 series provide better performance compared to the 6800
>> series for non-game activities? Or do they perform the same for 2D
>> programs?
>>
>> I am referring to activities such as MS Office, Photoshop and HDTV
>> viewing and recording.
>>
>> If these activities are improved, how are they improved?
>>
> There's no difference. You might as well get a budget 6200.

Except that the first-gen 2D engine which was supposed to video decode and
be programmable for all sorts of codecs was broken in the 6xxx series. Was
it ever fixed? NVidia are claiming however codec decode assist with a
second gen 2D engine in the 7xxx series and support for the H.264 codec for
HDTV. As no bit rate spec has yet been agreed for Blu-ray or HD-DVD you may
be taking a gamble that even the 7xxx series will fully support it. Can you
wait a little longer if HD is important to you? Personally I'm waiting a
while to see what ATI come up with. Conor is of course correct about the
non-HD 2D stuff

In article <1124715014.18823.0@ersa.uk.clara.net>, Shawk says...

> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > In article <1124711830.697431.41880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > GPUrooky says...
> >> Good Day,
> >>
> >> Does the 7800 series provide better performance compared to the 6800
> >> series for non-game activities? Or do they perform the same for 2D
> >> programs?
> >>
> >> I am referring to activities such as MS Office, Photoshop and HDTV
> >> viewing and recording.
> >>
> >> If these activities are improved, how are they improved?
> >>
> > There's no difference. You might as well get a budget 6200.
> >

> Except that the first-gen 2D engine which was supposed to video decode and
> be programmable for all sorts of codecs was broken in the 6xxx series. Was
> it ever fixed? NVidia are claiming however codec decode assist with a
> second gen 2D engine in the 7xxx series and support for the H.264 codec for
> HDTV.

However it doesn't.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

Shawk a écrit :
> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <1124711830.697431.41880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>GPUrooky says...
>>
>>>Good Day,
>>>
>>>Does the 7800 series provide better performance compared to the 6800
>>>series for non-game activities? Or do they perform the same for 2D
>>>programs?
>>>
>>>I am referring to activities such as MS Office, Photoshop and HDTV
>>>viewing and recording.
>>>
>>>If these activities are improved, how are they improved?
>>>

>>There's no difference. You might as well get a budget 6200.
>>

> Except that the first-gen 2D engine which was supposed to video decode and
> be programmable for all sorts of codecs was broken in the 6xxx series. Was
> it ever fixed? NVidia are claiming however codec decode assist with a
> second gen 2D engine in the 7xxx series and support for the H.264 codec for
> HDTV. As no bit rate spec has yet been agreed for Blu-ray or HD-DVD you may
> be taking a gamble that even the 7xxx series will fully support it. Can you
> wait a little longer if HD is important to you? Personally I'm waiting a
> while to see what ATI come up with. Conor is of course correct about the
> non-HD 2D stuff

Wasn't it supposed to be broken only in the 6800 series? The 6600 can
decode HD codecs in hardware without any problem, I believe.

> In article <1124715014.18823.0@ersa.uk.clara.net>, Shawk says...
>>
>> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > In article <1124711830.697431.41880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> > GPUrooky says...

>> > There's no difference. You might as well get a budget 6200.
>> >

>> Except that the first-gen 2D engine which was supposed to video decode
>> and
>> be programmable for all sorts of codecs was broken in the 6xxx series.
>> Was
>> it ever fixed? NVidia are claiming however codec decode assist with a
>> second gen 2D engine in the 7xxx series and support for the H.264 codec
>> for
>> HDTV.
>
> However it doesn't.

It doesn't or only partially?

shawk

"Chong Woo Paig" <cwpaigAT@valkenDOT.org> wrote in message
> Shawk a écrit :
>> "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>In article <1124711830.697431.41880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>>GPUrooky says...

>>>There's no difference. You might as well get a budget 6200.
>>>

>> Except that the first-gen 2D engine which was supposed to video decode
>> and be programmable for all sorts of codecs was broken in the 6xxx
>> series. Was it ever fixed? NVidia are claiming however codec decode
>> assist with a second gen 2D engine in the 7xxx series and support for the
>> H.264 codec for HDTV. As no bit rate spec has yet been agreed for
>> Blu-ray or HD-DVD you may be taking a gamble that even the 7xxx series
>> will fully support it. Can you wait a little longer if HD is important
>> to you? Personally I'm waiting a while to see what ATI come up with.
>> Conor is of course correct about the non-HD 2D stuff
>
> Wasn't it supposed to be broken only in the 6800 series? The 6600 can
> decode HD codecs in hardware without any problem, I believe.

You could be correct - I dont know. Going forward IIRC correctly (I read a
magaine review on this a week or two back) NVidia were claiming the 2nd gen
engine can cope with H.264 streams in the 15 to 20MB range(?) but as no
bit-rate has been agreed yet for the highest (1080p) video format this could
be as much as 50MB giving only partial support with the 7800. I was
sticking with the 9800 Pro in the hopes someone (NVidia or ATI) would come
up with something suitable soon. I have to admit though that the 6800GT
price drops are tempting me to go with an interim AGP solution just for my
gaming allowing me to wait until next year for a full new system build...

> "Chong Woo Paig" <cwpaigAT@valkenDOT.org> wrote in message
>> Shawk a écrit :
>> Wasn't it supposed to be broken only in the 6800 series? The 6600 can
>> decode HD codecs in hardware without any problem, I believe.
>
> You could be correct - I dont know. Going forward IIRC correctly (I read
> a magaine review on this a week or two back) NVidia were claiming the 2nd
> gen engine can cope with H.264 streams in the 15 to 20MB range(?) but as
> no bit-rate has been agreed yet for the highest (1080p) video format this
> could be as much as 50MB giving only partial support with the 7800. I was
> sticking with the 9800 Pro in the hopes someone (NVidia or ATI) would come
> up with something suitable soon. I have to admit though that the 6800GT
> price drops are tempting me to go with an interim AGP solution just for my
> gaming allowing me to wait until next year for a full new system build...

The 6800GT was supposedly the only card affected by this bug. Both the
vanilla 6800 and 6800Ultra used a newer version of the silicon that did not
have the problem.

Though, I think their newest (71.89 and later) drivers either fixed the bug,
or added a workaround to enable it, as I have no problems playing HD WMVs
now on my eVGA 6800GT. Before, I couldn't play them without stuttering.

RF.

shawk

"RaceFace" <nospam@myplace.com> wrote in message

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>> "Chong Woo Paig" <cwpaigAT@valkenDOT.org> wrote in message
>>> Shawk a écrit :
>>> Wasn't it supposed to be broken only in the 6800 series? The 6600 can
>>> decode HD codecs in hardware without any problem, I believe.
>>
>> You could be correct - I dont know. Going forward IIRC correctly (I read
>> a magaine review on this a week or two back) NVidia were claiming the 2nd
>> gen engine can cope with H.264 streams in the 15 to 20MB range(?) but as
>> no bit-rate has been agreed yet for the highest (1080p) video format this
>> could be as much as 50MB giving only partial support with the 7800. I
>> was sticking with the 9800 Pro in the hopes someone (NVidia or ATI) would
>> come up with something suitable soon. I have to admit though that the
>> 6800GT price drops are tempting me to go with an interim AGP solution
>> just for my gaming allowing me to wait until next year for a full new
>> system build...
>
> The 6800GT was supposedly the only card affected by this bug. Both the
> vanilla 6800 and 6800Ultra used a newer version of the silicon that did
> not have the problem.
>
> Though, I think their newest (71.89 and later) drivers either fixed the
> bug, or added a workaround to enable it, as I have no problems playing HD
> WMVs now on my eVGA 6800GT. Before, I couldn't play them without
> stuttering.
>
> RF.

Thanks for the update - always prefer to hear from a user rather than a
magazine.

GPUrooky wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> Does the 7800 series provide better performance compared to the 6800
> series for non-game activities? Or do they perform the same for 2D
> programs?
>
> I am referring to activities such as MS Office, Photoshop and HDTV
> viewing and recording.

For non-game use a 7800 is definitely a waste of money. HDTV is the most
demanding of those, but even then a 7800 offers little advantage over,
say, a 6600GT.

For Office and Photoshop I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the
difference even with a 6200..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada