cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Hi, Im currently runnin a amd 64 3400+ with socket 754...and my motherboard unfortunatly has an agp slot. My question is what is the real difference in performace between these to cards? Is there any direct benchmark comparisons? And would it be cost/performance effective if i bought a new motherboard and a pcie 7800gt instead of getting a 7800gs agp? Thanks

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
newegg has the 7800gs for around 299..if i got that i was thinking of getting the evga version which has higher clock speeds than the others for around 319..i figure it would be around prolly 350-400 for a mobo+7800 gt...ive never changed a mobo b4...how hard is it to do? will i have to reformat my harddrives?

rusticoar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I have a s754 mobo as well and i've been having a hard time finding a s754 mobo with pci-e and sli is there anything out there for sure?

Also does anyone know what the difference is between the
e-GeForce 7800 GS CO Superclock™
and the
e-GeForce 7800 GS CO, 256 MB DDR3?

Is the non superclocked still overclocked? and if not wouldn't it be better to get that and than OC it myself?

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Find Someonw To Give You A Good Profit From Your Socket 754 Mottherboard, CPU And Video Card And Use The Cash To Spring For A Decent Nforce4 Based Socket 939 Motherboard, CPU And 7800GT

Samsa

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Find Someonw To Give You A Good Profit From Your Socket 754 Mottherboard, CPU And Video Card And Use The Cash To Spring For A Decent Nforce4 Based Socket 939 Motherboard, CPU And 7800GT

I'm not sure I agree with this. Socket AM2 is just around the corner (July is the estimated release date) which will be replacing Socket 939. Socket 939 processors will not fit in Socket AM2, nor will current socket 940s. You also have to change your cpu fan in most cases and upgrade to DDR2 memory. So you may just want to wait a bit for that to show up.

More on Socket AM2:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2688

rusticoar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
samsa i agree with you. I'm gonna wait until cpus get much better than my 3400+ before upgrading. Mpjesse, your also right, that is a bad ass card. I got the plain old CO, I will overclock it myself. I talked to someone who has it and they said he have it at 520 and 1350 with the help of a little arctic silver. Even if he's exaggerating a little... I'm in.

Oh yeah and it came out to 313.64 with tax and shipping. Newegg rocks.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Even Though M2 Will Be Round Shortly Dosent Mean That Socket 939 Will Be Be A Bad Idea..... Semprons Will Likely Be Moved Up To Socket 939 And CPU Will Go Clear Up To The FX60 And Theres Even A X2 5000+ Planned For Socket 939 AND M2 And AMD Has Stated That There A Few Newer Faster CPU Slated For Release For socket 939 AND M2 As Well, And Many Of The Ones That Are Actually For M2 Will Be Nearly The Same (With The Exception Of The Faster Hypertransport And DDR2 Memory Controller Starting From The 3200+ And Up, Wich Almost Garaunteed That Socket 939 Isnt Quite Dead Yet...... And Besides You Should Always Wait About 6 Or So Months For Prices To Go Down On The Newest Technology (And Give Time Ta Get The "Bugs" Out), Besides All That RELLY Matters For The Average Gamer Is A Fast Graphics Card Riding The PCI-E Bus Anywayse, So Why Not? And I Doubt DDR2 Will Make A Huge Impact On Performance Between The S939s And M2s Anywayse

Samsa

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Even Though M2 Will Be Round Shortly Dosent Mean That Socket 939 Will Be Be A Bad Idea..... Semprons Will Likely Be Moved Up To Socket 939 And CPU Will Go Clear Up To The FX60 And Theres Even A X2 5000+ Planned For Socket 939 AND M2 And AMD Has Stated That There A Few Newer Faster CPU Slated For Release For socket 939 AND M2 As Well, And Many Of The Ones That Are Actually For M2 Will Be Nearly The Same (With The Exception Of The Faster Hypertransport And DDR2 Memory Controller Starting From The 3200+ And Up, Wich Almost Garaunteed That Socket 939 Isnt Quite Dead Yet...... And Besides You Should Always Wait About 6 Or So Months For Prices To Go Down On The Newest Technology (And Give Time Ta Get The "Bugs" Out), Besides All That RELLY Matters For The Average Gamer Is A Fast Graphics Card Riding The PCI-E Bus Anywayse, So Why Not? And I Doubt DDR2 Will Make A Huge Impact On Performance Between The S939s And M2s Anywayse

He still has a great processor, might as well ride it out till its totally worthless if he can. And its not really important whether DDR2 has a huge impact, because you'll need to get it for an AM2 processor. And do you have to capitalize every first letter? :lol: I feel like I'm reading a post from some spam bot.

Edit:
This is all moot now, as he's bought his new vid card and his system is good again for another year or so. hehe

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
The difference between DDR and DDR2 is almost none. So if your not going to upgrade any thing else, then buy a new motherboard and a 7800GT or a pairs of 6800GS/GT/Ultra...

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Update.........

My "Pride And Joy"
AMD Athlon 64 X2 "4900+" (3800+ @ 2.5GHz) 2.45v
2GB Of Gigaram CAS 2.5-4-4-7 DDR466 @ DDR500 Speed (250MHz) 2.9v
Evga Nvidia 7800GT @ 500/1100

hahaha you cannot say that it is a 4900+, because it has so little cache-memory...

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
You don't have to format but it is suggested. You can do the following and it will work most of the time with new hardware. I use it instead of formating. After the repair is done you will have to go through the regester with microsoft again and activate your copy of WinXP.

XP Repair install

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To Repair Install, press ENTER
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

KB 833330u Blaster removal

What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm and Its Variants

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS04-011
7. Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install from the Original install XP CD will remove SP1/SP2 and service packs will need to be reapplied.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Actually DDR2 In Some Cases Can Actually Have Worse Performance Than Standard "DDR1" Thats Why I Wish That AMD Would Just Stick With Standard DDR And Improve The Chips Themselves By Making The Hypertransport Faster, Going To .65nm And Doubling The L2 Caches (From 512KB To 1MB On The 512KB Modles And 1MB To 2MB On The 1MB Versions)And Doubling The L1 As-Welll

linux_0

Splendid
Intel is not in the lead and the larger cache makes almost no difference whatsoever in most apps.

Intel + DDR2 667 can barely keep up with AMD64 939+nForce4 + hypertransport + DDR400 despite the 1 - 1.2GHz clock deficit.

The onboard memory controller makes a huge difference.

The only benchmarks Intel can claim are the synthetic ones which are biased towards Intel and are notoriously inaccurate.

In real-world benchmarks AMD takes the lead and maintains it. AMD64 optimized code runs even faster. Keep in mind most code AMD64s are benchmarked with is optimized for Intel and NOT AMD.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
the 64 x2 wont beat the new ddr2 nomater what the memory can out perform the 939 and I had said this when people started to buy new motherboards My words were WAIT.
ddr2 takes less power which means better performance faster data transfer more mb per second, the processors will work more smoothly because of the ddr2. I did post the expections of the amd ddr2 memory.

falsterbo

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I can totaly agree that AMD is faster in games and one application at the time. But if you give AMD more than 2 apps at the same time, then Intel speeds by and takes the first place...

If you take a look at Tomshardware, then you´ll see that the new Intel takes the lead in most tests...