7800GT Geforce incompatible with Dual Core Processor? HELP!

afm813

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Hi folks,

I'm a first time builder and my old Pentium D processor overheated and apparently burnt out/does not work. I recently bought a 2 GHZ Pentium Dual Core (Inside) Processor. Once I replaced the D with the Dual Core, I got the infamous 'No Signal' on the monitor. I checked all the connections and wondered if my Video Card, a Ge Force 7800 GT (which was purchased a few years ago), is incompatible with the new Dual Core Intel processor?

I assumed it was because when I put the old Pentium D back in, at the very least, the Pentium D screen posted before I got the overheating beeps/message and the usual shut down. The Dual Core just boots up (all fans and lights work beautifully) but there is no post, just a 'no signal' message before the monitor goes blank.
I want to also note that the keyboard does not light up which I read could be a problem with the motherboard, however, the mobo seems to work fine as the processor boots and there is a green light on the mobo indicating a successful boot (unless I've mistaken the green light?).

Sorry for the newbie questions, I just want to upgrade my cpu with a smooth first time build but am running into difficulties highlighted above. If the video card is outdated for the new intel dual core processor, I could buy an upgrade, but wouldn't mind using the 7800 GT with the new processor longer before taking that route. Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
certianly wont be your gfx card . they either run on agp or pci-x and doesnt matter on the series/age , will work regardless as long as it has enough power for newer cards , i agree with badge , the fact u had an old pentium D and have upgraded to a dual core , sounds like the motherboard isnt dualcore compatible. just because its a 775 board doesnt mean it will pick up on new chips , there might be a bios update to sort this , but a new motherboard might be needed , if so and your running 'agp' on your graphics card this produces another issue as most motherboards are pci-x now. and certianly if your upgrading mobo u need to look into future proofing for this as agp is dead.

jkamb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Definitely no incompatibility betweeb gf7800GT and dual core cpu's. Mine works fine from day 1. your got a cpu / mb / ram problem. Like badge said be more specific with your pc's specs.

afm813

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Wow. Thanks for the rapid-fire responses! I was trying to find out if it was the Mobo but couldn't find anything concrete on intel's website (except for newer versions). If I'm reading the specs correctly off the Mobo and CPU's, the specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board
D945GNT, D945PSN
Canada ICES-003 Class B
E210882
(Sorry if that's too much information, as a Noobie I can't tell which are the most important specs on the above MB.)

Memory, 2GB: DDR2 1GB(x2) PNY Technologies

Video Card: Ge Force 7800GT, 256MB, PCI-E

Old CPU: Intel Pentium D '04
820 SL88T Malay
2.86 HZ/2M/800/05A
Q522A636

New CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core Inside
E2180, LGA775, 2GHZ, 1MB L2 Cache, 800 MHZ FSB
I just bought it from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116052

If the MB is too outdated for the latter CPU, please advise a good MB for it.
My goal is to rebuild a decent gaming CPU. One that will not only handle big games like COD Warfare, but still compatible with older games like COD's ancestors (Cod1, United Offensive, Cod2, Civilization, etc.).
As you can tell by the Dual Core I purchased, it's on the lower end. I want to build a gaming CPU on a budget but dont mind spending more for a faster CPU if needed. Same goes for the video card. By all means, offer your suggestions for playing the above games at a reasonable price (Not interested in super-fast expensive quads). On that note, would the 7800GT be worth salvaging? Or should I upgrade to a GF 8800GT or something?
Thanks in advance for all replies and follow-ups- I went to school for history and political science, not computer science. :kaola:

well, not trying to make fun of you, but the title just gave me the first laugh of the day. I do happen to own a cheap gaming system that works very well for me, and it goes:

E2160 (stock, 9x200 = 1.8GHz)
P5K-E WiFi (8-Phase VRM and good capacitors, but cheaper than the Deluxe)
Dominator 1066 2GB
Galaxy 8800GT 512

My system is set to 9X333= 3.0GHz, 1333FSB. I have a simple 500w PSU.
Since you're buying new, might consider a newer chipset (P5Q-E with the P45). I don't really know how the 7800 handles shader-heavy games, but the 8800GT gets the job done.

afm813

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008

:lol: Laugh it up, the jokes on me. But I'm not afraid to ask for help when I simply do not know all these specs. So I appreciate your advice. That MB you suggest looks good. And from the reviews of the 8800GT, I've been comtemplating replacing the 7800GT (not sure what you consider a 'shader-heavy' game but it did handle Cod1, UO, and Cod2 quite well if those count).
Also, how did you 'set' your system to 3.0 GHZ. Did you overclock it? Is there a good site you recommend for O'Cing, I want to read up on it before I ever attempt it.

Found it! You're right, the MB is not compatible with the Dual Core Processor, just the ones below- Pentium D, Celeron, etc.
Thanks guys for your replies, that solves that mystery. Ah, now off on my quest to find the best motherboard for the above Dual Core! :pt1cable: I'll check out the other posts regarding budget gaming systems and heed Murissokah's advice.
Thanks, this is my first experience on this forum and has been a pleasant one. This place is a great collection of computer minds. :wahoo:

TRENDING THREADS