7850 and 7870 Crossfire minimum PSU requirements

black0identity

Prominent
Feb 26, 2018
Hi all,

I have recently purchased XFX 7870 Ghost and just wondering if my Crosair GS600 will take this as normal or will struggle ?

So I will setup a Xfire by 7850 with 7870 will this be enough not mentioning about rest of the components that needs power as well?

Thanks in advance

Solution
If you try to crossfire a 7870 and 7850, it's just going to turn down the settings on the 7870 so they match the 7850 and that will probably cost you as much as you gain.

You should also note that crossfire is much more difficult to setup and get working and it's much more fail prone.

There are scenarios where 2x GPU is worse than 1x of the same GPU.

I believe strongly that 1x larger card is the best way to go rather than 2x of a smaller card. There is evidence that leans toward 3x of a card at once being pretty fail-proof, but you might just be able to do better by paying the 3x for 1 card even still.

Corsair PSU with both cards.... probably fine...

The gs 600 should be enough but it's quite old already and that might cause issues. You can try and see if it works. If it's still in good shape then yes it shoud be enough. However that depends on the other components in your system.

Also why are you doing crossfire? Barely any game does multigpu anymore and the few that do have it poorly implemented. You are also stripping a fair chunck of performance away from the 7870 due to you using a 7850.

The best thing is to just use the 7870 since you will get higher framerates in almost all games even in quite a few crossfire supported titles since it's most of the time poorly implemented that it doesn't even give you a 30% performance boost. The 7870 is about 25% more powerfull than the 7850 so you are basically doing crossfire (not talking about all the isses multi gpu has) 7850's to get to 7870 level performance.

black0identity

Prominent
Feb 26, 2018

The other components as follow.

i5 2400
MSI H77-G43
2x4 G.Skill 1333 plus 1x4GB Crucial 1333
SSD 64GB + 250GB + 1000GB External.

I really would like to crossfire them, I am fully aware that 7870 will downgrade it self to 7850 level.

As you can see my 2nd gen Intel if fully enough for me, I do most of the streaming(PS3, X360, PS4) Plus After effects etc. So just wanted to make sure that Xfire will do for me. Of course as you mentioned, I ll try and see what will happen, but to be honest wish to be all fine once Xfire'd.

I've never did overclocking as my opinion is simple...if you want faster and better components buy newer and stronger and don't mess with overclocking.

If you try to crossfire a 7870 and 7850, it's just going to turn down the settings on the 7870 so they match the 7850 and that will probably cost you as much as you gain.

You should also note that crossfire is much more difficult to setup and get working and it's much more fail prone.

There are scenarios where 2x GPU is worse than 1x of the same GPU.

I believe strongly that 1x larger card is the best way to go rather than 2x of a smaller card. There is evidence that leans toward 3x of a card at once being pretty fail-proof, but you might just be able to do better by paying the 3x for 1 card even still.

Corsair PSU with both cards.... probably fine...

Solution

If you are not gaming on your pc and using it for productivity then I HIGHLY suggest you do NOT crossfire. After effects gpu acceleration completly breaks when gpu's are in crossfire and crossfire has a lot of small but annoying issues when using windows regularly. You will also be consuming more power due to a secondary idle card.

It's not worth it to lose gpu acceleration in after effects since it will be a LOT slower without it.