7850 coil whine

heath43302

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
anyone know of any fixes for coil whine? loll I know its coming from my video card and it only comes on when playing a game you don't even hear it during loading screens or anything just while gameplay I have a xfx 7850 ultra overclock edition thanks

Solution

Yeah, it would also void your warranty. I would say RMA it if it does not stop. Apparently it is caused by some PSU and GPU combinations. The coil(s) resonate to some electromagnetic frequency or current or something (I don't really know) from high voltages from the PSU. Have you tried turning vsync on? That means less power required (depending on game/application) so the noise should be reduced.

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
How old is the card? Did it recently start? Some people have found it goes away after awhile, others put up with it. You can RMA, or if you really want to fix it yourself, people have applied glue or epoxy to the offending coil. I wouldn't recommend that last option though.

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Yeah, it would also void your warranty. I would say RMA it if it does not stop. Apparently it is caused by some PSU and GPU combinations. The coil(s) resonate to some electromagnetic frequency or current or something (I don't really know) from high voltages from the PSU. Have you tried turning vsync on? That means less power required (depending on game/application) so the noise should be reduced.

Solution

heath43302

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I looked the reviews up about this card on best buy and that's the first comment someone left was they took one back and the other one did it also its not that loud but it is kind of annoying like a bug buzzing under the desk but its not loud at all you can just hear it alittle bit but I don't wanna hear it LOLL

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

You could try return it if it does bother you a lot. Can you try gaming with vsync on? Or is it already on?

heath43302

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
I read a few people have already returned them and the one they get does the same thing vsync is on should I turn it off?? and is there anything else I can turn off to maybe stop it I put most all things on ultra but even if I go to medium still whines

PyjamasCat

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Hmm. Vsync off will make it loader. Do you have a spare PSU you can try?

I had that happen to one of my twin HD 4870s (never did figure out which one it was, lol) and it was annoying as hell, but after awhile, it just went away. I didn't even notice when it was gone, just one day I said "Hey, the coil hasn't whined in a long time.", 3 years later and still no whine. It will sort itself out.