7870 Flickering/Artifacts/Harsh Lines?

PrecisionMission

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hey guys, ever since installing my new card I've been having some issues with textures. Small or thin textures seem to flicker, it really bugs my eyes and I find it extremely distracting.

CPU: i5-3570k
GPU: Sapphire 7870 OC Edition
Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4
RAM: Patriot Viper III 8GB @ 2133mhz
PSU: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Certified

I've also tried this card on a similar system with the same results:

CPU: Phenom 965 BE\
GPU: Same
Mobo MSI 770-C45
RAM: 4GB Patriot Viper II @ 1600mhz
PSU: Same

I've tried many different configs both in game and in CCC, I've tried drivers 12.8 through 12.11.

I did cheap out on my PSU - http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_441&item_id=028286

Here's a video so you can see what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn57t5p_QZ8 - notice the red & green house and surrounding area. (specific ingame settings are listed in description)

1) Is this normal?
2) Could it be faulty card/psu?
3) Any idea how to fix this?

G

I had the same problem with the exact same card!!! Google Sapphire hd 7870 OC BF3 black screen error...you'll see heaps of people with similar issues!!!

These cards a heap of junk.

G

Yes you are lucky not to possess a OC edition! I had to fight to have Sapphire/my pc shop refund me for this rubbish!!!!

G

Go and return that GPU NOW!!!! Get your money back while you still can.

My card OCs to 1050/1250 just fine too. You got screwed buying the OC edition. Just got an Auria today too so I might have to see just how far it can OC.

PrecisionMission

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

The only reason I got the OC edition was because it was actually $40 cheaper than non OC (yea... not even on sale - I think the shop knows its of lower quality)

PrecisionMission

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Okay so after some further testing I have the following results share

I brought back my card today and exchanged for an identical model (selection was extremely limited - next step down available in store was a 650Ti).

New card has the exact same artifact issues.

I then installed my old HD 5750 (which used to work fine) and it's giving me the same artifact issues.

I'm starting to think my issue lies within the PSU, and if this is the case, could the Vram on the GPUs be permanently destroyed or would swapping out for another PSU likely solve the issue?

I do have a 500w antec PSU, which I'm going to assemble, although I'm not comfortable connecting a 7870 to a 500w, so I'll try the 5750 and report back.

1. New PSU likely to solve issue, or is it likely a faulty PSU damaged my GPUs as well? (I read somewhere that a faulty or noisy GPU can actually destroy your Vram. t/f?)
2.Should I refrain from using my computer in the mean time?
3. How likely is it that other modules have been damaged by the PSU? (If the PSU is indeed defective)
4. The PSU has 1 cable containing two six pin adapters for the GPU, I have both adapters connected to the GPU - is this correct?

I really do appreciate all your time and help guys, let me know if there's any other things I can do or test to make this troubleshooting as thorough as possible.

G

Wow. Okay well I'm sorry for my advice! I was told the artifacting was my psu...BEFORE I figured out it was actually my card. However, this time it seems your computer may not be getting enough power!!!!

Maybe get a better power supply in terms of higher wattage and a better 12v rail!

PrecisionMission

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

I'm going to bring my whole system into my local computer shop where I originally bought all these parts (they wanted me to pay $40 for a diagnostic test, but since every item in the computer is still under instant return warranty I threatened of just returning everything - they scheduled me for a free diagnostics test tomorrow)

I'll report back, I think 650w should be fine, especially considering the problem persisted with my 5750 which used to be running on a far more demanding (in terms of wattage) system than my current.

One thing to note, there are two 6 pin plugs for PCI-E on the same strand of wires (excuse my lack of terminology), is this normal or should I used the 6 pin adapters that came with the GPU (looks like it's for a modular PSU though).

So now the only items which have not been tested outside of this system are:
-Monitor (which used to run fine)
-Hdmi Cable (which used to run fine)
-PSU (I havnt experienced artifact free games with this PSU to date)

I'll update tomorrow after
a) they've figured out the issue via diagnostics testing, or
b) tried my 5750 (and possibly my 7870) connected with my old power supply (3 year old 500w antec earthwatts)

/edit - The way I've typed this make it seem very convincing it's a PSU issue - I'd like to add that I havn't had any freezups/BSODs/Crashs and the PSU seems to be running cool, which I've heard are the classic signs of a faulty PSU.

G

You can use the wires, which as you say, are on the same strand (who cares about terminology!)

Or the adaptors, it doesn't matter as long as you meet all the requirements!

Let me know the results of the diagnostics!

PrecisionMission

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Will do - although I'm getting the impression this is the norm with the 78xx series GPUs. Seems AMD may have focused more on raw performance and FPS than image quality.

Here are a few links of other 78xx GPUs playing Arma 2 - they seem to have similar issues, although mine seem more prevalent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE_eTHo9xsQ ffw to 1:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t392CB4ImbI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HR5bvS1GpI