[SOLVED] 7870 X 2 Crossfire

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Currently running 7870 X 2 Crossfire. Looking for budget upgrade, (used will be fine), but a quality card, maybe a Flagship in its day. Also a card that a year from now I could drop another in and run Crossfire. What cards are people dropping for reasonable prices that could do this for me? I can even wait until mid summer to buy the first one.

Running a i7-4770K. 16GB ram, and have a Antec 850W PSU.

Solution
In games that support Crossfire/SLI, two HD 7870s will be better than just one. However, most newer games have moved/are moving away from multi-GPU support.

-Wolf sends
First of all, do not go for either SLI or a CrossfireX setup. Nope. Just get a single powerful GPU instead. Games don't scale well on a multi-GPU setup, and there are other issues as well.

What are your requirements ? On which screen resolution you plan to game ? Do you prefer AMD or NVIDIA ? What's your budget ?

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Kind of content right now, but if I upgraded, it would be an opportunity to dump those two 7850s into my other computers for when friends come over to LAN.

Not 4k or anything, 1920x1200 at best. I still play old RPGs like NWN2 or Titan Quest, but newer ones, Divinity, and want to be able to play BG3 when it comes out. But newer games, too. My son wants me to play Dying Light with him.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Checking out the 570s. Thanks.

BTW, are you suggesting that one 7870 is better than two? I mean, until I upgrade. It was fun getting two going, Crossfire, for I was away from this hobby for a while, but I could pull one card out use it elsewhere.