79-80 Celsius Under Load Overlocked With Water Cooling?

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hey guys I'm a bit concerned with these numbers and I need to know if these temps are normal for a water cooled PC.

I have an i7-960 3.20Ghz overclocked to 4.2Ghz and under 100% CPU load in OCCT, real temp is showing 79-80 Celsius.

Idle temperatures are sitting at 45-50 Celsius.

I bought this PC from CyberPower and it came with a 360mm radiator with triple 120mm fans mounted on top exhausting hot air out of my Cooler Master HAF-X case.

I believe the pump is a XSPC Dual Bay Pump.

Are these temperatures normal for an overclocked PC?

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
No, especially not a water cooled one. 80C under full load is a dangerous temperature. I have an i7 980X @4.2GHz with a Corsair Hydro H50 cooling it, and it barely ever gets above 50C under full load. 45-50 at idle is pretty terrible as well. How old is your computer? It could be a function of the thermal paste not having cured sufficiently. If it's more than a month old then I'd suggest calling up CyberPower...

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
I'm not sure if Realtemp temperatures are off or what? On my Aerocool temperature monitor/fan control screen, the highest I've seen the CPU hit was 51 degrees Celsius and that's with the CPU sensor connected to the back of the CPU block on the other side of the motherboard.

Idle temps are around 31-35 degrees on the Aerocool Idle. I'm not sure which to believe. Wouldn't the Aerocool be more accurate if the CPU sensor is directly connected to the back of the CPU block?

80C- 90C is normal for an I7 overclocked on air, but on liquid setup I would think they would be much lower especially with a big rad on your case.

What is your ambient room temperature? Also how many devices are being cooled on this loop and have these temps always been this high on this rig?

Core temps will be much higher usually compared to the actual die temp.

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Ok, I just checked my CPU Temp in BIOS. It's hovering around 38 celsius and my Aerocool is showing 37 Celsius.

Just before I restarted into BIOS, Realtemp showed 47 degrees Celsius.

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

So which one should I be paying more attention to when gauging proper temperatures for an overclock?

Ok Bios only reports the Tcase temp which is the actual die. Intel list for all I7 9xx variants the Tcase temp should not exceed 67.9. And Tjunction max is 100C.

Tcase = CPU temperature
Tjunction = Core temperatures

Now core temps I believe will always be up around 70 to mid 80s no matter what you have cooling it. As long as you can keep the die temperature (Tcase) below 67.9 you should not have a problem.

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

Ok thanks, I should be fine then. If Core temperatures will always be high like that and my Aerocool CPU temp sensor connected to the back plate on the back of the CPU and reads only 51 celsius under high load than I should be fine right?

Core 0 on Realtemp usually always show the highest temps whereas Cores 1 and 3 are always the lowest.

Not sure if that's normal or not either but if my Aerocool readings are accurate then my core temps are perfectly fine under high load?

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

You might be right about that. When I was running Linpack, even though my Core 0 temp was hitting 79-82, I was feeling the top of my case (where the radiator fans are exhausting) and it's just a little bit warm.

Even the exhaust in the back of the case was pushing out air that was hardly warm.

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Cyberpower pc?

What case do you have? Watercooling is only effective if you have a big radiated area otherwise its going to be effective as a aftermarket aircooler

Yes it's CyberPower PC and the case I have is the Cooler Master HAF-X.

Also, I took this from overclock.net:

"Correct, as long as you are within the voltage and temperature guidelines you are ok. The temperature that should be monitored is the overall CPU temperature, not the core temp.

Best regards,
Jesse
AMD Global Customer Care"

So in other words, when we OC we should be looking at the CPU temp.

Some of them Cyberpower PCs come with huge rads but they also sell the ones that look like the H70 which are not much better then a air cooler.

Look at the OPs original post

I bought this PC from CyberPower and it came with a 360mm radiator with triple 120mm fans mounted on top exhausting hot air out of my Cooler Master HAF-X case.

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Oh the HAF x is big enough. Drop the voltage little by little till it becomes unstable. If it fails in prime just push it up a tat and see what temps your getting

When you say monitor the temps, you're referring to the CPU temp right? Not the Core temps

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Yeah prime is going stress out all the cores. If you drop the voltage one increment at a time till it becomes unstable you can easily get the right amount of voltage needed. When you overclocked it did you find your highest clock first before you started with the rest? That's the easy way not to apply more voltage than needed and get better temps.

What do you mean started with the rest? You mean adjusting the vcore only first?

I set my vcore at 1.30 at first for 4.2ghz but BSOD after about 5 minutes of OCCT.

I set it to 1.34 and same thing, it stabilized around 1.36-1.38

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hey guys here's an update...

This is a screen shot of my PC running Linpack in OCCT.

RjU7v.png

The CPU temperature is fine but the core temps are kind of high. Remember this is overclocked to 4.2Ghz

I read somewhere that when overclocking I should be paying attention to the CPU temp and not the core temp if it's below 90. So are these temperatures fine?

Thanks.

All in all those temps are a bit high(but not too bad when you see some stock cooler temps), but remember it is overclocked and the board may be slowing the fans to keep it quiet.

If the board is controlling the fans, you can try to turn that off(its in the hardware monitor section of the bios, but it may be loud that way), but I would not worry. Those temperatures will not be reached under even the most demanding games/apps for the most part.

conjuror

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

I just ran Linpack again for longer and my Core 0 temp spiked to 85 now but CPU temp is still stable.

Is it normal for cores to run this hot overclocked no Liquid cooling?

With a Zalman CNPS Flex and 1 Noctua 120mm fan i get about 850 rpms idle and a temperature around 40c for core and 37 for board sensors.

Load it up(prime, but i am getting occt), the fan gets to 1200 and the temps can get to 70 on the hottest core and 57 for the board sensor.

Ok, just ram linpack. Here is the result after just under 10 min.

Keep in mind you are pushing far harder then me and running more voltage.

I also do NOT have anywhere near the best cooling on the market here.

Tmpin1 is my cpu temp
thermaltest.jpg

I would say if you want cooler temperatures, you will need some more powerful fans on that rad. I7's run hot. Even more so with HT enabled.

Velouria

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Here is what I have:

285197_700396927348_56708062_35165334_228035_n.jpg

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-960 3.20 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366

CAS: Thermaltake Level 10GT Full Tower Wide Body Gaming Case w/
CARE2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
CARE1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]

FAN: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclcking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA) [+63]

HDD2: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+65] (Single Hard Drive)
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) MSI X58A-GD45 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Triple-Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 Audio, eSATA, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III, RAID, IEEE1394a, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)

MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)