79 service (9208) laserjet 5 issue

(throwing it here because it is related to networking)

79 service (9208) laserjet 5

here's the back story. My Boss had this printer on a windows NT server. He took it off the NT server (because the NT server was being disposed of) and he put it on a windows 2000 or 2003 server (not sure which). He changed the IP address and then after that this error "79 service (XXXX)" has been popping up.

We turn it off and then back on and it clears it every time. The issue is that it seems to pop up every so often. He thinks it has something to do with the switchover from NT to 2000/2003.

What are your opinions? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Petrock

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Google it indeed.

yes this sounds like a driver issue. If no 2003 drivers, then 2000 drivers might still work.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Do you have the latest firmware installed ?
Are the correct printer drivers installed ?
Have you tried a PCL and PS driver ?
Try connecting it to a different machine (i.e. XP test work station)
Is the printer attached locally or on JetDirect ?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Indicates an unexpected firmware error was encountered. Document the error message.

The numeric code displayed indicates a specific error for service personnel. Error 79 can also be caused by incorrect memory addressing to a font cartridge or memory card.

Remove any installed font or personality cartridges (or memory expansion cards). Turn the printer back on. If the message persists, consult service.

This error can also be software related. Ensure that the error is occurring consistently before servicing the printer.

A defective print cartridge can also cause this problem (HP LaserJet 4Plus series printer only).

I didn't install the printer so I couldn't tell ya if the proper drivers were installed.

Post script drivers are for macs so i doubt PS drivers are even installed.

Its on a server so we can't rip out the printer and connect it to a different computer. Doesn't work that way. Plus it happens randomly it would be hard to reproduce and I just don't have that kind of time to sit there and hope it happens sooner than later.

It has a jetdirect card which is connected to a server.

I will probably bet it is driver related since he did switch from a NT 4.0 server to a windows 2000 or 2003 (he doesn't remember which) server.

thanks for the suggestions =)

Do you have the latest firmware installed ?
Are the correct printer drivers installed ?
Have you tried a PCL and PS driver ?
Try connecting it to a different machine (i.e. XP test work station)
Is the printer attached locally or on JetDirect ?

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but a driver issue will not cause a Service 79 error. I'd agree with some of the earlier posts: check your JetDirect and printer firmware for upgrades. If not, try getting a cheap print server and hooking the printer up to that. I've had problems on top of problems with JetDirect built-in boards, and usually end up replacing them with something like this from Linksys. Might not have all the fancy software tie-ins that the JetDirect does, but it has always worked like a champ for me. Good luck.

-J