Question 7900 XT coil whine ?

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
Hey

So as soon as i start a game my GPU has this very sharp buzzing coilwhine , Its asus Tuf 7900xt , Is there a solution to it or should i replace it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can gpu run 170? it sort of relies on CPU to get that high I think... I don't know, until I swap CPU tomorrow the fastest I can do is 144.

I only suggested 143 as staying 1 below the max refresh rate can reduce tearing... and if monitor can't go any faster, why run that fast.

why game is 144? maybe it doesn't have a refresh rate option for 170. Is monitor running at that in Windows?

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
can gpu run 170? it sort of relies on CPU to get that high I think... I don't know, until I swap CPU tomorrow the fastest I can do is 144.

I only suggested 143 as staying 1 below the max refresh rate can reduce tearing... and if monitor can't go any faster, why run that fast.

why game is 144? maybe it doesn't have a refresh rate option for 170. Is monitor running at that in Windows?
Edited , was able to find setting to set it to 170.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
what refresh rate are you running at?

If monitor is say 144, try setting radeon chill to max 143 & min 141 and see if that helps.

coil whine can be caused by high refresh rates so restricting it might help.
You're going to have to explain that one to me.

Why would dropping the max by 1fps and the low by 2 fps below that improve coil whine?

If you said drop it by a substantial amount, I guess I could understand that but 1fps has me puzzled.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Why would dropping the max by 1fps and the low by 2 fps below that improve coil whine?
its not dropping the max. 144 isn't the max your card can run if its unrestricted.

Instead its setting a cap of 142 where one didn't exist before. So it isn't perfect
if the card was in fact running at 144 or more before, it was running at a higher refresh rate than needed, so reducing it can help.

I haven't heard any coil whine but then I might be deaf to it, as I watch videos on it and can't hear anything in those either... the older you get, the less you hear.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
its not dropping the max. 144 isn't the max your card can run if its unrestricted.

Instead its setting a cap of 142 where one didn't exist before. So it isn't perfect
if the card was in fact running at 144 or more before, it was running at a higher refresh rate than needed, so reducing it can help.

I haven't heard any coil whine but then I might be deaf to it, as I watch videos on it and can't hear anything in those either... the older you get, the less you hear.
I see what youre getting at now.

Yeah, I can see how that might help but from my reading if you got coilwhine you've got coilwhine. Not much you can do about it (ultimately)