Question 7900 XTX stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2022
Hello folks,

today i installed my new PowerColor 7900XTX in my system. Replaced my 2080ti. Did a clean uninstall with DDU and installed the latest drivers from AMD.
Now here comes the problem: for example in Destiny 2 i get horrible stuttering when explosion happen and such. The frametimes spike up to 30ms for a split second.. When i'm idle or nothing too crazy happens, the frametimes are stable. With my 2080ti it was never that case.
I even installed my whole Windows installation fresh but that didn't fix it.

Specs are the following:
Asus ROG B450 F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
AMD 7900XTX
16 GB DDR4 Ram
850W PSU

Doesn't seem to be bottlenecking. Maybe anyone can help me out.

Regards
Daniel

Colif

Win 11 Master
bios up to date on motherboard?
not sure if chipset drivers would help
BAR on?

clearly going to be some growing pains, expect new drivers pretty quick for a while
Nvidia driver team slightly bigger than AMD one, from what I can tell. They working over Xmas to fix drivers

Dec 17, 2022
bios up to date on motherboard?
not sure if chipset drivers would help
BAR on?

clearly going to be some growing pains, expect new drivers pretty quick for a while
Nvidia driver team slightly bigger than AMD one, from what I can tell. They working over Xmas to fix drivers

Latest Bios is installed and BAR is activated.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Hello folks,

today i installed my new PowerColor 7900XTX in my system. Replaced my 2080ti. Did a clean uninstall with DDU and installed the latest drivers from AMD.
Now here comes the problem: for example in Destiny 2 i get horrible stuttering when explosion happen and such. The frametimes spike up to 30ms for a split second.. When i'm idle or nothing too crazy happens, the frametimes are stable. With my 2080ti it was never that case.

Specs are the following:
Asus ROG B450 F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
AMD 7900XTX
16 GB DDR4 Ram
850W PSU

Regards
Daniel

Using separate PCIe cables right? Not sharing two plugs from the same cable?

Colif

Win 11 Master
So i assume its just a stock xtx, and not a Hellhound or Red Devil, so you can't change bios mode... so I can't suggest silent as it doesn't exist.

There is very little info on these cards yet besides reviews - I know as I been looking. its pretty bad you can buy cards before any reviews exist for them... feels reviewers dropped the ball

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
There have been reports of spikes, I'd assume if it can spike it could be starved. But not sure if that's the case here.

You may just need to wait for a new card bios or drivers. Unfortunately side of having the latest tech.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I also guess that the driver is not yet optimized for that game. Older game and they probably wanted to have at least the most important new games (that get benchmarked in most tests) running ok. AMD always released their cards before the driver is ready.....

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Hello folks,

Specs are the following:
Asus ROG B450 F Gaming
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
AMD 7900XTX
16 GB DDR4 Ram
850W PSU

Regards
Daniel

Nope you are not alone. I bought an XFX 7900XTX Speedster Merc 310 and I thought it was going to be better than my Gigabyte 4080 Gaming OC. Nope very very wrong. I get similar microstutters in The Division 2 on both a B450/5800X and an X670E/7700X systems. I plug in the 4080 on both and no stutters. I can reproduce it every time on the 7900XTX. Must be something memory related, it happens when moving through a specific sections of the map. What’s worse it crashes more often, runs 100W more power than my 4080, runs slower in benchmarks and runs fans louder. Having owned 5 other AMD cards, I’m very disappointed this generation. Maybe drivers will get better but I’m not going to bother for a card in all respects is much worse but looks good only on paper. $100 more and you get mature drivers, quieter card, faster performance and reliable operation consuming less power. 4080 for the win, my last NV card was a GTX970 so its been quite some time.

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
Nope you are not alone. I bought an XFX 7900XTX Speedster Merc 310 and I thought it was going to be better than my Gigabyte 4080 Gaming OC. Nope very very wrong. I get similar microstutters in The Division 2 on both a B450/5800X and an X670E/7700X systems. I plug in the 4080 on both and no stutters. I can reproduce it every time on the 7900XTX. Must be something memory related, it happens when moving through a specific sections of the map. What’s worse it crashes more often, runs 100W more power than my 4080, runs slower in benchmarks and runs fans louder. Having owned 5 other AMD cards, I’m very disappointed this generation. Maybe drivers will get better but I’m not going to bother for a card in all respects is much worse but looks good only on paper. $100 more and you get mature drivers, quieter card, faster performance and reliable operation consuming less power. 4080 for the win, my last NV card was a GTX970 so its been quite some time.
I'm also running a XFX 7900XTX Speedster Merc 310 and have had a joyous experience. No stutters or issues of any kind.

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Maybe it's a driver related issue. You may have to wait until AMD introduces new updates...

Driver may fix stuttering but I’m not optimistic about the power and performance. I’ve been an AMD fan but a bit disappointed with out of the box experience vs Nvidia this generation. For the $1150 I paid for the XFX XTX its close to the $1250 I paid for the 4080 and I was hoping to be blown away with the AMD card. I really wanted the XTX last year release day but it was sold out and could only find the 4080s. I took a chance and was impressed with the 4080. When I got the chance in the new year to get the XTX I jumped on it only to be let down. I’ve spent time with it, really tried to make it work. I’m still within the 30 day return window, perhaps I wait a bit for new drivers if not, its going back, current state it’s unplayable. It’s like buying a car that randomly puts the brake on when you are trying to drive fast on a race track.

BTW I’m glad it works well for others but for the games I play the experience thus far has not been as pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS