Question 7900x stays at 95C constantly under load ?

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
7900x constantly reaches and stays at 95C under full load RTX 4090, 7900x, 2x32GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, 4TB SSD M2, Gigabyte Aorus B560M Elite AX, Aero prism ARGB Black, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4

Ever since I got my PC - 2 weeks ago - I have had the problem of the 7900x overheating constantly. By this I mean that while I game in 4K max settings, especially in new AAA games,

the 7900x quickly gets to 95C and 5500Mhz and then stays very close to that temperature, namely around 90-95C but usually around 93-95C. The clock speed begins to fluctuate once it reaches the max temp of 95C, between 4700Mhz-5500Mhz, up and down, down and up.

All components are brand new. I made sure that the DRP4 doesn't have the plastic film on the bottom - it does not. Re-seated the DRP4 and also re-applied the thermal paste on the CPU. Went into the BIOS and put the CPU into the 105W Eco Mode, applied Curve Optimizer All Cores Negative 20, to no avail: Under heavy load -eg in Games, Cinebench, etc - it still quickly reaches 95C and stays there, rides that line. At idle I get 54C-65C

Also tried taking off the glass side panel and game for 10 minutes: The temps remained the exact same so it doesn't seem like airflow is the issue (even tho I thought so!)

Is this normal or is this still wrong? Is this expected behavior? Seems super weird to me but I might be ignorant on this.

This is by design, as noted from Ars Technica:

For what it's worth, the AMD reviewers' guide says that this is safe, expected behavior:

"With the new AM5 socket and higher TDP, most processors will run into a thermal wall before they hit a power wall. You will therefore see the Ryzen 7000 series, especially the higher core count variants, reside at TJMax (about 95 degrees Celsius for the Ryzen 7000 series) when running intense multithreaded workloads like Cinebench nt. This behavior is intended and by design.

It’s important to note TJMax is the max safe operating temperature—not the absolute max temperature. In the Ryzen 7000 Series, the processor is designed to run at TJMax 24/7 without risk of damage or deterioration. At 95 degrees it is not running hot, rather it will intentionally go to this temperature as much as possible under load because the power management system knows that this is the ideal way to squeeze the most performance out of the chip without damaging it."

If these temperatures make you nervous, you can either invest in a much beefier cooler, tweak the power limit, or undervolt the processor.

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
This is by design, as noted from Ars Technica:

If these temperatures make you nervous, you can either invest in a much beefier cooler, tweak the power limit, or undervolt the processor.
I have already done the latter 2. TDP EDC PPT set so that it's in the 105W eco mode. Also, undervolt means Curve Optimizer? If so, I have All Cores Negative 20 in the BIOS as well

Still i get these temps

While it is rare I would check to see if PBO is enabled in the bios by default, if enabled or auto it could override whatever settings you put in.
Also if you have EXPO enabled for your ram it could use much more volt on your CPU than what you define for the CPU alone.

Look at the mobo website if there is a new bios version, there have been issues with too high voltages causing problems with AMD CPUs the last few weeks.

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
While it is rare I would check to see if PBO is enabled in the bios by default, if enabled or auto it could override whatever settings you put in.
Also if you have EXPO enabled for your ram it could use much more volt on your CPU than what you define for the CPU alone.

Look at the mobo website if there is a new bios version, there have been issues with too high voltages causing problems with AMD CPUs the last few weeks.
Look at this log, it looks like the 95C thermal limit doesn't exist!

View: https://imgur.com/a/sSXjTOR

Top: CPU temps

Middle: CPU Vcore SoC

Bottom: CPU Cores' Temps avg

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
Did you check if there is a new bios for you?!
Yes sir, I updated my BIOS from F5a to F5d. Now I am waiting for the system image backup to be fully restored coz I had forgotten to disable Bitlocker prior to the BIOS Update and even tho I gave the correct Pre-Boot PIN, it completely locked me out of the system. Also no recovery key, LOL. It's at 30% now so I hope it is finished soon. Far as the BIOS is concerned, I loaded the optimized default settings and made like 3 changes max based on the specific settings I used to have in version F5a (I had taken a picture of every single setting, section etc inside the BIOS prior to the update).

I would argue this is only a problem with the memory controller, not the CPU core itself.
As if that would make any difference to somebody that is just trying to troubleshoot their system.
The thing is that he has a new bios and that the voltages are within the limit that AMD has set.
Now the only thing to do is to wait to hear back on the temps.
If you want to help and if you know you can give your opinion on if it's relatively normal for AMD CPUs to go above 95 degrees, I thought that that was the max limit but in the pic he posted it does spike up to 98.

If you can't put in a thermal limit you might have a more serious problem.

The video posted above speculates on it being a thermal protection issue with the CPU increasing temps without any limit, if you want to help the community you should drop this guy a line and ask him if he's interested in buying off your CPU he will pay full price and shipping for it if he's interested.

If he doesn't respond, or you don't care, RMA the CPU, it should stick to the thermal limit you set.

Maybe first communicate with the mobo maker to make sure that you use the thermal limit correctly although I don't think that there is something anybody COULD do wrong there.

7900x constantly reaches and stays at 95C under full load RTX 4090, 7900x, 2x32GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, 4TB SSD M2, Gigabyte Aorus B560M Elite AX, Aero prism ARGB Black, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4

Ever since I got my PC - 2 weeks ago - I have had the problem of the 7900x overheating constantly. By this I mean that while I game in 4K max settings, especially in new AAA games,

the 7900x quickly gets to 95C and 5500Mhz and then stays very close to that temperature, namely around 90-95C but usually around 93-95C. The clock speed begins to fluctuate once it reaches the max temp of 95C, between 4700Mhz-5500Mhz, up and down, down and up.

All components are brand new. I made sure that the DRP4 doesn't have the plastic film on the bottom - it does not. Re-seated the DRP4 and also re-applied the thermal paste on the CPU. Went into the BIOS and put the CPU into the 105W Eco Mode, applied Curve Optimizer All Cores Negative 20, to no avail: Under heavy load -eg in Games, Cinebench, etc - it still quickly reaches 95C and stays there, rides that line. At idle I get 54C-65C

Also tried taking off the glass side panel and game for 10 minutes: The temps remained the exact same so it doesn't seem like airflow is the issue (even tho I thought so!)

Is this normal or is this still wrong? Is this expected behavior? Seems super weird to me but I might be ignorant on this.
This is definitely odd behavior. Reset your BIOS and start again from scratch.

Leave ECO mode off, Leave PBO on. Set a manual PPT limit of 125W and test. Note that setting PPT in BIOS on some boards must be done in mW, so 125W PPT would be 125000. Be sure and set the correct amount according to your specific motherboard. Now run some benchmarks/stress tests. If your CPU stays cool, increase PPT limit a bit and test again. Also note that the section in BIOS where you can adjust PPT can be buried in a sub, sub, sub menu. It's basically the area where the Ryzen Master software links up to.

I've found setting a PPT limit to be a great way of keeping Ryzen 7000 CPUs down off their 95ºC thermal throttle limit. Of course, there's nothing wrong with these CPUs running at 95ºC 24/7 - this is what they are designed to do, but if you do want to go lower, use PPT limit.

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
This is definitely odd behavior. Reset your BIOS and start again from scratch.

Leave ECO mode off, Leave PBO on. Set a manual PPT limit of 125W and test. Note that setting PPT in BIOS on some boards must be done in mW, so 125W PPT would be 125000. Be sure and set the correct amount according to your specific motherboard. Now run some benchmarks/stress tests. If your CPU stays cool, increase PPT limit a bit and test again. Also note that the section in BIOS where you can adjust PPT can be buried in a sub, sub, sub menu. It's basically the area where the Ryzen Master software links up to.

I've found setting a PPT limit to be a great way of keeping Ryzen 7000 CPUs down off their 95ºC thermal throttle limit. Of course, there's nothing wrong with these CPUs running at 95ºC 24/7 - this is what they are designed to do, but if you do want to go lower, use PPT limit.
I already have that 105W Eco Mode enabled. I wonder what tf is causing the CPU to ignore almost everything I set up in the BIOS and still go up to 95C

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
I already have that 105W Eco Mode enabled. I wonder what tf is causing the CPU to ignore almost everything I set up in the BIOS and still go up to 95C
Something is definitely off if you are getting 95C in 105W Eco Mode. I just changed to that mode, and ran Cinebench, with the temps never exceeding 66.4C. The CPU package power draw was 145 W and CPU Core Power was 105.4 W.

At idle it runs about 38.5C. I am using a high performance AIO, so of course my temps are lower than I would expect yours to be, but still, you have a good air cooler and should be getting lower than what you are seeing with Eco Mode. Running with stock settings 95C at full load would be expected behavior. I'm curious what wattage consumptions you are seeing - that would be closer to apples to apples.

Oh and all my readings are from HWiNFO64, so you know its not a tool reading things differently.

Last edited:

CeltPC

Honorable
Jun 8, 2017
He has spikes up to 98 degrees is that normal? Do you have those too?
No, but again I can't compare directly on temps due to different cooling, however, that is why I also cited power consumption as those should be comparable. In AI overclock mode, the maximum temp spike under full load has been 90.4C.

The max CPU package power draw was 200.4 W and CPU Core Power was 159.1 W. Judging from my testing and all the data I have seen from others, I would guess my 7900X is pretty average - no lottery winner - but a great CPU :)

Last edited: