Question 7900X Super loud please help adjusting fan curve ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
whats layout of fans? Do the 7 case fans include the ones on AIO?

is the noise coming from AIO or other fans in general?

Do you have individual fan curves for other fans or just want to use one for entire system? AS you could use https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases to control fans in windows.

strange all your sys fan headers are in same spot - https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...231109.pdf?v=a484ab41d0034178911dabfce0c855fa
3 fans in the front, intake. 3 fans on top, intake. Those 3 fans on the top of the case are connected to the AIO

And 1 fan in the back, exhaust

Your curve is awfully steep for a CPU designed to turbo based on temperature cap of 95C. Personally I'd try changing it to 50% at 50C and scaling to 100% at 94C to start with. You could also do some testing to see if you really need them to ever hit 100% or if you could cap them at a lower percentage.

You might want to have the case fans set to a different header with a less dramatic curve if you haven't already with a cap based on noise. This is how I have my intake fans set as they can spin up to a very high RPM but this behavior is barely ever necessary.

Also as was said above switch your radiator fans to exhaust if you're bringing air in the front.

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
Your curve is awfully steep for a CPU designed to turbo based on temperature cap of 95C. Personally I'd try changing it to 50% at 50C and scaling to 100% at 94C to start with. You could also do some testing to see if you really need them to ever hit 100% or if you could cap them at a lower percentage.

You might want to have the case fans set to a different header with a less dramatic curve if you haven't already with a cap based on noise. This is how I have my intake fans set as they can spin up to a very high RPM but this behavior is barely ever necessary.

Also as was said above switch your radiator fans to exhaust if you're bringing air in the front.
Now I have changed the fan curve as follows:

ALL fans AND AIO pump operating at 50% capacity until 80C, then switching to 80C, and then at 90C, switching to 100% capacity

Is this rational or asinine? Seems really quiet thankfully. Even in-game since it rarely goes above 75C unless I am doing some very intense workstation tasks or gaming tasks.

If it works it is good.
All setups will vary with noise and cooling.
You just need to find a curve that keeps it quiet while gaming but ramps up when bench-marking or stressing it.
Most people advise to run the pump at 100% all the time and vary fans speeds as needed.

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
If it works it is good.
All setups will vary with noise and cooling.
You just need to find a curve that keeps it quiet while gaming but ramps up when bench-marking or stressing it.
Most people advise to run the pump at 100% all the time and vary fans speeds as needed.
Can running the pump like I have shown above cause the pump motor any issues, damage? At 100% it sounds like a jet engine to me. Hell, not even 1t 100, more like at 50%

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
as long as cooling is good it should be fine.
Só I know I Sound dumb as hell but éven tho the top fans are intake now, when the CPU reaches 70C it's still way too loud for my liking

Curve is like this:

AIO pump 50% áll the Way up tó 80C then 80% up tó 90C, then 100%

CPU and OPT Fáns are 50%
áll the Way up tó 80C then 80% up tó 90C, then 100%

System1 System2 and System3 30% áll the Way up tó 80C then 80% until 90C then 100%

Is there nő Way tó keep the 7900X silent while maintaining performance and temps?

I understand it's ZEN5 and a 170W workstation CPU but my ears hate it

Só I know I Sound dumb as hell but éven tho the top fans are intake now, when the CPU reaches 70C it's still way too loud for my liking

Curve is like this:

CPU and OPT Fáns are 50%

System1 System2 and System3 30% áll the Way up tó 80C then 80% until 90C then 100%

Is there nő Way tó keep the 7900X silent while maintaining performance and temps?

You should do some testing to figure out what specifically is bothering you. Here's what I had to figure out: my pump noise doesn't bother me at all, fans on the radiator are awful over ~75% and case fans start making too much noise around 65% so I've just left the pump and capped the other two accordingly.

I did a bit of reading with your AIO and it seems like the pump works fine all the way down to 65% so if it turns out the pump noise is what you don't like you're good down that far. As for fans really you should manually change speeds to figure out what the highest is you can stand and never go above that when making your curve.

Reactions: Hucka2

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
You should do some testing to figure out what specifically is bothering you. Here's what I had to figure out: my pump noise doesn't bother me at all, fans on the radiator are awful over ~75% and case fans start making too much noise around 65% so I've just left the pump and capped the other two accordingly.

I did a bit of reading with your AIO and it seems like the pump works fine all the way down to 65% so if it turns out the pump noise is what you don't like you're good down that far. As for fans really you should manually change speeds to figure out what the highest is you can stand and never go above that when making your curve.
How can I base the fans' speed % capacity based on the AIO pump's coolant temps? I would like to try that

How can I base the fans' speed % capacity based on the AIO pump's coolant temps? I would like to try that
Most AIOs don't have a coolant temperature sensor so you'd have to specifically buy one that did (or one with quick release), and yours does not. It might be possible to get a temperature sensor for the fill port, but I wouldn't count on that being possible with most AIOs.

Reactions: Hucka2

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
Most AIOs don't have a coolant temperature sensor so you'd have to specifically buy one that did (or one with quick release), and yours does not. It might be possible to get a temperature sensor for the fill port, but I wouldn't count on that being possible with most AIOs.
People say that it's not normal that my AIO Pump is loud like a jet engine at and beyond 55%. They claim a properly functioning pump no matter the brand or width (240, 360mm etc) is NOT supposed to be audible at all even at 100%

Is that true?

At the same time they claim I should let my pump run at 100% at all times, so there shouldn't be a curve to begin with; instead there should be a "plane", one straight line

Curve is like this:

CPU and OPT Fáns are 50%

I do not understand your fan directions?
In your first posts you stated that your top fans on the radiator were intake. Which means they blow their air into the case.

We asked that you change them to exhaust. Blowing air out of the case.

But now it appears you have changed them to intake again? Blowing air into the case again?
Can you post a picture?
Host it on imgure or such sites.

The pump should not be loud ,even at top speed.
So you have a trapped air bubble in the pump or a bad pump.

Turn the computer on and gently tilt it onto its side for 10 -15 seconds a couple of times. This should move the air bubble into the radiator if it is the problem.

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
In your first posts you stated that your top fans on the radiator were intake. Which means they blow their air into the case.

But now it appears you have changed them to intake again? Blowing air into the case again?
Can you post a picture?

Turn the computer on and gently tilt it onto its side for 10 -15 seconds a couple of times. This should move the air bubble into the radiator if it is the problem.
Nope, when you asked me to change them to exhaust I did. So current set up is that the front 3 fans are intake, top 3 are exhaust, one in the back is exhaust too

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022

Can you post a picture?

I'll video record the noise I hear when I turn the pump up beyond 50%