Question 7900x3d

Solblinks

Prominent
Jan 18, 2023
Will a nh-u14s manage the 7900x3d on release. I dont want any throttling to happen i will only be gaming and pc will do zero heavy workstation related tasks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Any answer given before release date and hands on testing is conjecture regardless of how "well informed" someone thought they were. You could take educated guesses based on certain factors but knowing the facts simply isn't possible for consumers right this moment.

From you posts you seem to want to try to build this on day1. I guess you could buy the chip the first day if you think it is going to be hard to get but there are things I am waiting to see how they solve.

The normal 7900x will likely outperform the 7900x3d in application that can not use the the cache memory. Since the cache cause some of the core to have lower boost clocks and the 7900x can boost all its cores to the same level.

What my key concern is how do you get application on that can use the 3d cache on those cores and applications that can not use the cache on the other cores. In simpler cases maybe the OS could do it. But say you get a game that can run multicore. Now the game developer must tune their game to use this processor.
You could get extremely random results if the processes in the game are not consistently allocated to the most effective core type. Many game developers will not bother for such a small percentage of users who buy these chips. This means some game benchmarks on this chip will be very inconsistent.

What I suspect is it will be a few months after these chips have been on the market before we see truly what the real potential is.

Will a nh-u14s manage the 7900x3d on release. I dont want any throttling to happen i will only be gaming and pc will do zero heavy workstation related tasks

It depends on how the pc is used. If performing cpu intensive tasks then I doubt the nh-u14s would prevent thermally throttling.

For general use and gaming it would probably be fine.

I'm using a Peerless Assassin 120 with a 5800x3d and it peeks at 87°C when running Cinebench23 all core load.

It's all relative.