790FX vs 890GX vs 890FX

jhopp

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I am stuck between which motherboard I should get. I would like to order asap but don't know if I should wait for the 890FX. I am stuck between these two boards which are available now:

GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 AMD 790FX
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX

On the other hand I have read on multiple sites that the 890FX boards should be released sometime in April. Link! I was wondering if I should wait for these new boards because then I could also pick up a new Phenom II X6 along with it according to the article. So if anyone could recommend a current board or should I just wait for the release of 890FX boards and when can I expect them to be released.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: This will be for a gaming setup so will not be using the IGP of the 890GX.

BigBlueDart

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
The main advantage that you get between the 890GX and 790FX chipsets is that with the 890GX comes the SB850 southbridge which has native SATA3. The 790FX chipset, on the other hand, is geared towards people who intend to Crossfire some big cards. With the FX series boards you get the full dual x16 experience. With 890GX going dual means an x8/x8 crossfire. It doesn't have the same bandwidth in the PCIe lanes. Of course, the FX board is only worth it if you intend to crossfire some pretty heavy duty cards in dual, or perhaps crossfire 3 or 4 cards (x16/x8/x8 or x8/x8/x8/x8). So you'll have to judge just how ambitious your graphics set up is going to be.

As far as whether to wait for the 890FX boards, it shouldn't be very long. The date I've read is April 26th, which I think coincides with the PhIIX6 release. You might want to wait if only to see the prices of the new boards before making your decision. I've heard rumors that the 890FX boards will support even more PCIe lanes than the 790FX, so that is something to consider. But also consider that many mobo vendors are going to support the PhIIX6 processors on 790 chipsets with a BIOS update.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
The real question is whether you are planning on running a crossfire setup in the future. If you want Crossfire, I would most definitely wait for the 890FX as it will run full x16/x16 crossfire, and be capable of 3 or 4 x crossfire at x8. If you don't want to crossfire, the 890GX will be just fine for you. You won't be using the IGP, so who cares if its there or not. If you can though, having the option of USB-3 and sata6 will be a nice thing in the future.

Best to wait and get the new chipset..Not only it'll bring new enhancements but will be better compatible to the upcoming CPU's courtesy AMD.. I won't point out USB 3.0 as a viable measure of a purchase though.. It's still to get highlighted and moreover, it can be done by implementing add in cards..

jhopp

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Yeah, I think that I am just going to wait and probably pick up a new 890FX board once they are released and see what the new Phenom II X6s prices will be and if they will have any affect on the quads. May be able to squeeze in a new hex if the prices are right.

mfernicola

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Agree -- you might be able to pick up a six core chip and a discounted 790 FX board to save you some cash. Honestly, who needs more than two video cards in cross-fire? If the 890 GX reviews are any indication the 890 FX boards will probably not be worth the extra $$.

abhishekk89

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

actually 890gx performs better than its predecessor... so the same can be expected from the 890fc.. i'd rather wait than make a wrong decision now

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I think the 890GX and FX are probably both worth the price over a 790 variant board. If nothing else, having native USB3 support will be nice now and in the near future, and Sata 6 support will probably be a growingly useful feature as well.

mfernicola

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

I'm not sure that's entirely true. The only things that you will be getting for the extra money are USB 3.0 and SATA III -- and it will be anyone's guess as to when those will affect mainstream user performance.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-890gx-radeon,2571-13.html

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Well, USB 3.0 actually probably will be a noticeable improvement even in mainstream- many people already use USB2.0 external drives, and they are bottlenecked by the USB2.0 bandwidth. USB3.0 external drives will be much better (though an ESATA external drive is just fine already). Sata 6 likely will not matter until SSDs start consistently breaking 300MB/s (like Crucial's new drive that has 355MB/s reads) and are somewhat more affordable than they are now.

mfernicola

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I hear you, but when I say mainstream user performance I mean running games, apps, or whatever else an average user needs.

I understand that you might be able to back up your data faster (provided that you invest an additional $?? in a USB 3.0 device to do so). I just don't see the extra cash bringing much value to everyday computing.

I would rather spend the extra dollars on something else (e.g. upgraded video card) that yields tangible benefits today.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I feel ya, but for me, even just backing up my data faster would be worth it- especially when you have LOTS of data to back up. I figure its probably at least worth waiting to see how the 890FX performs, because who knows- they might drop some new features on their top of the line chipset- could be it'll have some sort of new feature that the others don't have.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
yup- for the same price, obviously the newer chipsets will be better. However, I think mfernicola was assuming they would be a bit more expensive than the older chipsets, which does make sense assuming the prices drop more on the older boards when the new ones release.

mfernicola

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009

Yes -- although I am fortunate enough to live close to Fry's so I can bottom feed on parts with the luxury of a 15 day return period if things don't work as expected. You can get some great deals on discontinued items at that store.

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Id say your best bet is to hang out and see the prices on what is released.

You didn't say whether or not budget was an issue, but if not, ***, buy the 790fx and grab the 890fx when they drop.

If you are under the normal monetary constraints as the rest of us mortals, then I'd say wait for the Full Range of 890 boards to drop, then if you find something you can't live without, BUY BUY BUY!

As you can see above, there will not be a HUGE difference between the two boards, other than: USB 3, Sata 6g, some PCIE lanes and support for PCIE 2.1

However, they shouldn't make a big deal, unless your rocking 2x (or more) 5870/5970's and plan on splurging on brand new 6g SSD's.

Nor did you say your current set up, or what you will bring over into the new build.

If your sporting am2/+ chip, and are planning to go x6 later, then wait till the new boards drop and grab a 790fx on the cheap and grab the x6 later. (assuming you will only be using 1 or 2 video cards 5850 or under

But again, its all about what you have to spend.