Question 7950X boosting to 6.2GHz at stock setting...

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So I am not sure what to think about this. My Ryzen 9 7950X is hitting 6-6.2GHZ speeds while boosting (my current 4 hour test run has peaked at 6.104 GHZ with several cores hitting 6.049 GHZ). Now I am running a high flow rate custom loop water cooler with a 360mm X 80mm thick so I have seriously beefing cooling but these boost speeds still seem a little nutz even for all that. I was expecting to max out at 5.85ghz without PBO. I have made sure to turn off PBO and most of those fun OC things. My ram (64GB G.Gkill Trident Z Neo RGB DDR 6000 CL30) is currently running at 6000mhz so my infinity fabric is at 2000mhz at the moment as I have been testing different setups and program usages but the results seem to be the same even at lower ram speeds.

Oddly my rig seems mostly likely to hit these huge boost speeds after my office has heated up some, warm but not hot nor cold. AND they seem most common when I am consuming streaming media in browser (firefox and edge...netflix, youtube, etc) Checking all my temps though, everything looks outstanding. My Vcore peaks at 1.456V but tends to hover at the .8-1.2V range, so no worries there. My motherboard (x670e Taichi) has nothing over 55C and my CPU hasn't broke 72.5C on my current test run (testing: streaming, web surfing, office usage) and it mostly hangs out in the low to mid 40s C. I have been at this for days now, used different bios, setting, programs, etc. Though up side I found out it seems that the latest bios lets my 64GB of ram hit its native 30-40-40-96 timings at DDR5 6000mhz speeds without loosening the timings. So thank you X3D chips...you've given me the most stable bios yet AFAICT (needs more testing to be sure).

Anyways I don't know if this is a result of me hitting the silicon lottery, my overkill cooling solution, combination therein or something more nefarious that might harm my CPU or motherboard down the line. I was curious if anyone had any thoughts or seen similar behavior? I did have some instability in the previous bios during long game sessions testing so not sure if that is related or not. I was planning on testing a long game session either tonight or tomorrow depends on how my hands feel (chronic injury) to see how the latest bios fares.

So I am curious on peoples thoughts. Should I be concerned? Feel lucky? What is going on here...??

Edit: using CPUID HWMonitor for these speeds and temps

Last edited:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Given thermal and voltage headroom Ryzen will boost to higher clocks...
Looks like you got lucky in the silicon lottery.

Yeah that is where my tech mind tends to lean but my thoughts are just blown by my boost speeds being SO high. Never in my life did I think I'd have so much clock speed I'd get worried. I'd feel better if I'd seen other posters hitting these speeds at stock but from my research these are considered nice OC speeds. Just insane...I was bound to hit the lottery one way or another in my life I guess, why couldn't have been for a few million dollars instead of several hundred MHz I'll never know...oh wait I don't play lotto or get scratch offs to play so NM LOL...Honestly I was half expecting to find some motherboard setting I missed but I have scoured my settings, defaulted every thing thrice, disabled PBO etc and the numbers keep coming up the same. I guess I am being paranoid when I should just be feeling lucky. I'll be curious if anyone else has something to say. Thanks for y our input and time, much appreciated.