Question 7970 black screen on MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard

Oct 11, 2019
I have an older computer with a 790fx-gd70 MB and AMD 955 CPU, had a little R5 220 Radeon card in it to stream tv, Kodi and things like that. My nephew retired two Sapphire 7970 graphics card for newer cards. They were working fine when he took them out and gave to me. I put it in and it will not show anything (screen is black) not sure what to do. I have a Corsair 850 PSU by the way and plugged in the two power cables to the card. Any help will be appreciated, thought I might be able to do some gaming on the computer if I can get the card to display.

Since they were working when he gave them to you, your problem might be either software related (which new drivers, BIOS or new installation of windows might solve them), or hardware which more probably points to PSU.
Did you try both at the same time? One at a time? Both have no signal?
How old is your PSU and what exact model? If you don't know, open your case and take a look.

Oct 11, 2019
I tried them one at a time and both gave no signal, have not tried them both at the same time like in crossfire. The PSU is a Corsair TX850W. I have two identical computers, I built years ago and tried both cards (one at a time) in each of the computers and both gave no signal. I was going to put one card in each of the computers. Also I am plugging in two power cables to the card when I try them. The fans spin but that's it. I don't understand or know what to try.