7970 Crossfire Waterblock Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hello everyone,
My 7970's are overheating, and I would like to make a custom WAter loop. However, my cards are the Sapphire 11197-03-40g. Apparently they arent REFERENCE. Are there any FULL Waterblocks for them? I want to also OC my core to 1150-1200. I already have the rest of the water loop "figured out" and will post the full specs here soon.

Solution
OK, just got back and had time to review your question, lets do this.

The image below shows the best method for setting up your loop (sorry for the crappy sketch):
z3qkAkz.jpg

Putting a radiator at the bottom of your case isn't a good idea, you will get nowhere near the performance of on places at the top.

Thermal Paste:
Use the double X pattern but don't use too much, most people pour thermal compound on their chips and it makes a huge mess, if you use the right amount you should be able to put the copper adapter on with almost no paste coming out of the sides into the blue areas. Then you'll add another layer of thermal paste on top of the copper plate to make contact with the waterblock. The RAM...

P1nnacle

Distinguished

It won't matter if the heatsink is larger, just if it's smaller. The original heatsink on your card is an all in one unit.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Then ill just get on of em' 14mmx14mm heatsinks 2 packs a they come with a 2-sided adhesive tape! Problem solved!

I'll post a link later, because I dont really know which ones they were again...

Thanks! I'll probably order tommorow!

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Sounds good, keep us informed.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

So, this is what i got:

kreator.jpg

I changed the rads to something cheaper, and got the RAM and VRM (Mosfet) Heatsinks :)

I'm also buying IC Diamong 7 carat thermal compound and a silver coil from Amazon... Hopefully everything goes together wel...

So, Is this ALL i need? Because I really wanna know if this all goes 100% together...

You've been great help till now, and hopefully still will be! hahah :D

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Yes, as far as I can tell, that should cover everything. Keep me informed when you get the parts, I'll be glad to help with any build questions you have. One thing that you may want to consider is zip ties or hose clamps, they skipped my mind since I use a tubing that is smaller than the barb (so it's impossible for it to leak), but tubing that has the same measurements can be a bit loose on the barbs. Zipties will fix this easily though.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Oh, dont worry about that. I got hundreds of zipties at home. I'll fasten the tubing on every connection it makes! :)

And another question I hope you dont mind... The picture under your answers is a Battlefield (3,4?) rank right? Do you really level up so quickly? Hope you dont mind me asking haha :p

P1nnacle

Distinguished

BF4, and yes I do level rather quickly. I don't mind at all.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Oh, yeah, just to make it clear, I'll definetely choose your answer as the solution, but I'll just wait till i get the stuff, So i can ask you further questions, if I'll have to. :)

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Perfectly fine.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Hey, I'm so sorry to ask again, but I was unable to order yesterday, so I just wanted to ask... Should I buy 1/2" barbs? So it wont leak? You said you buy a higher caliber to prevent leaking...

Thoughts?

Like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15240/ex-tub-1215/Alp...

and this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15697/ex-tub-1240/Alp...

Oh, yeah, just to make it clear, I'll definetely choose your answer as the solution, but I'll just wait till i get the stuff, So i can ask you further questions, if I'll have to. :)

P1nnacle

Distinguished

If you do want to do this I recommend you use either 7/16" ID tubing with 1/2" fittings, instead of 3/8 (i.e. 6/16"). I use 3/8" with 1/2" barbs, and let me tell you, it is nearly impossible to put the tubing on, I boil the tubing and use lube (yes, the kind of lube you're thinking of) to get it to stretch around the 1/2" barb. 7/16" is much easier to work with, which is good for beginners. That said, I would recommend it, if you do it right it looks incredibly professional.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I gues you meant something like this;

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10473/ex-tub-633/Tygon_R-3603_716_ID_58_OD_-_Laboratory_Tubing.html

and this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15204/ex-tub-1195/Alphacool_G14_Thread_90_Rotary_12_ID_Barbs_-_Chrome.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15204/ex-tub-1195/Alphacool_G14_Thread_90_Rotary_12_ID_Barbs_-_Chrome.html

and this for the splitting of the GPUS right? (since it's also 1/2")

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2278/ex-tub-17/12_ID_UV_Reactive_Leakproof_Y_Fitting.html

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Yep, that all looks good. I have heard mixed reviews about Tygon Tubing though, most likely due to users not using the proper anti bacterial/microbial protection.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Hey, I'm really sorry, but i was unable to order on Frozen cpu, because i live in Europe now, and my friend who was gonna bring it over isn't able to carry it, so im probably ordering from a Netherlands shop.

Anyway, Here's the setup:

peanut-butter.jpg

Please tell me if everything is ok?

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Yeah looks like you transferred everything over ok.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Again, I'm really sorry, but on the previous post, the picture, i forgot to put the radiators and tubing in. When i did it was 560€... So, i had to RE-do it all on other shops. I did it one EK.COM and amazon.de. Since e ek is a Slovenian company (where i live), the shipping is 4€.

So, again, I'm sorry, but please have one last look at the things below and tell me what i forgot, isn't compatible, ect...

thanks

cheese-taco.jpg

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Everything looks in order as far as I can tell, don't forget that I missed that other stuff too, so I don't know how much I'll be able to help. My recommendation is to draw a picture of your loop with all the parts where they would be, then count up the parts and make sure you have the right amount of everything.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Hey, so, I basically have everything ordered, it's just the pump... I thought about getting a res/pump combo, since i don't have much space in my case anymore... But the only on i could find was this:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/res-pump-combo/ek-dcp/ek-bay-dcp-2-2-combo-unit-incl-pump.html

But it has 400L/H, and the previous pump has like 1200L/H. I know i don't need a strong pump for GPU loop only, but is 400l/h enough?

Thanks

P1nnacle

Distinguished

It's plenty, 1200L/h is overkill, even for my setup.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
All IS ORDERED!! Hah, don't get me wrong, but Im excited as heck, I mean this is the most extensive thing I've done to my PC EVER!

I got 2 Silver coils and like 2X 100mmx100mmX1mm thermal tape for the ram and stuff.

Man, thank you so freaking much. I will, however, ask you more stuff later, when i get the parts! :D

So, until then, I wont choose best answer, because, I'll need your help. :)

Thanks again!

P1nnacle

Distinguished

No problem, be excited, watercooling is super fun.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

So, I havent been home these 3 days, but the stuff is probably already there (although maybe not from EK, cause something wasnt on stock), but anyway, my friend from the US actually brought me a silver coil. Its a mayhems fine .999 silver coil. Honestly, I didnt even know i ordered it to him. It was 7.99 (5€) so it is no problem, however, could you explain to me, the difference between .999 and 99.999 silver coils? Some people say .999=99.9 others that .999=99.999. Im supposed to have 99.999 right? So, i dont know what now......

Oh, and just out of curiosity, when building my loop, do i jump start my PSU with everythig plugged out, right? i mean CPU, GPU, HDD, right? I know, it's a stupid question, but i guess i disconnect EVERYTHING except the pump, right? Oh, and before I jump start I pour water in the reservoir and let the pump take it through the loop, and whn it does, i close the PC and re-do until the full loop in full of warer, right? And while doing this, should the case power connectors an stuff be connected to the motherboard?

The second question is probably based on pure logic, so I apologise for my ignorance. :)

P1nnacle

Distinguished

.999 silver is equal to 99.999% pure silver.Just a different way of writing it.

For the second question: just plug in the PSU to the pump and jump start the PSU once you have water in the pump. The worst thing you can do is run the pump dry, you want water going through it any time you run the pump. Everything else you said is basically correct.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
The stuff from germany is here, the passive heatsinks, thermal pad and 2 mayhem silver coils.

They even put a bag of Haribo Gummy bears, because it's Christmas, HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

I have to say that these heatsinks are AMAZING. For 11.99€ I got like More than i need ram sinks, a giant mosfet heatsink and so much more! And like 3 different shaped of the RAM sinks. Amazing, truly.

Still waiting for the waterblocks, rads, reservoir and tubing.

Anyway, this is an extremely stupid question, but how do i handle silver coils? I looked around the box of the coil before and it didnt say warning or anything so i took one out and for a few sevonds held it. This isn't an issue, right? I mean, Im safe for touching it, right...?

Man, you must be preety shocked at what things I'm asking, haha. But, Im just trying to play it safe.