7970 Crossfire Waterblock Help

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Hello everyone,
My 7970's are overheating, and I would like to make a custom WAter loop. However, my cards are the Sapphire 11197-03-40g. Apparently they arent REFERENCE. Are there any FULL Waterblocks for them? I want to also OC my core to 1150-1200. I already have the rest of the water loop "figured out" and will post the full specs here soon.

Solution
OK, just got back and had time to review your question, lets do this.

The image below shows the best method for setting up your loop (sorry for the crappy sketch):
z3qkAkz.jpg

Putting a radiator at the bottom of your case isn't a good idea, you will get nowhere near the performance of on places at the top.

Thermal Paste:
Use the double X pattern but don't use too much, most people pour thermal compound on their chips and it makes a huge mess, if you use the right amount you should be able to put the copper adapter on with almost no paste coming out of the sides into the blue areas. Then you'll add another layer of thermal paste on top of the copper plate to make contact with the waterblock. The RAM...

P1nnacle

Distinguished

There really isn't any procedure for handling a silver coil, as long as you don't eat it you'll be fine. You do ask some funny questions.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

First off, Happy New year! :D

Second of all, I'm PROBABLY gonna start the assembly tommorow. HOWEVER, While trying to figure out the "blueprints" for the loop, I keep getting lost. I guess I should've got the bridge adition for Crossfired Cards... But they didn't have them on stock. So, getting the normal ones, i have a Dillema. How to wire my tubing. I made a...Simple plan. Would this work?

ema.jpg

If not, Please tell or show me, how to do it. I'm trying to go with the INLET/OUTLET thing, that EK says it's urgent to tube the tubing this way.

Look at step 4: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109805169.pdf

And the other thing I want to ask is, how do I apply thermal paste to my gpu. It's a stupid question once again, I know, but I wanna know if (look at the pic below) i can put the thermal pad i get with the Supremacy's in a double X pattern like below, but is it ok if it goes off the edge? Like the "blue" zone in the picture. And after i puut the thermal paste on, I put the Copper Adapter (the thing to make contact with the GPU) on, and push it down a bit? And then put thermal paste on the copper piece and then put on the block?

picture:
ovjek.jpg

I know, stupid questions, but is there ANY OTHER suggestion you have for me tommorow?

Oh, and what happens if the pump runs fry for a few seconds? Because I don't know if I'll be able to open/close the PC (PSU) before the pump runs all the water through it and runs dry.

And can I jump the psu using the green-black or something wire and then close it with the switch of the PSU to instantly power it off?

Thanks! :D

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
■ Oh, I have another problem... The thermal pad I bought isnt self-adhesive... So... How do i put the Heatsinks to the Ram now? The termal "glue" that comes with it is probably impossible to get off once it's on like most forums say... So... Now what? Can I reuse the old thermal pads from the stock cooler or are those ALSO not sticky?

P1nnacle

Distinguished
OK, just got back and had time to review your question, lets do this.

The image below shows the best method for setting up your loop (sorry for the crappy sketch):
z3qkAkz.jpg

Putting a radiator at the bottom of your case isn't a good idea, you will get nowhere near the performance of on places at the top.

Thermal Paste:
Use the double X pattern but don't use too much, most people pour thermal compound on their chips and it makes a huge mess, if you use the right amount you should be able to put the copper adapter on with almost no paste coming out of the sides into the blue areas. Then you'll add another layer of thermal paste on top of the copper plate to make contact with the waterblock. The RAM heatsinks are going to be a problem, I wouldn't recommend reusing the thermal glue, as it was probably damaged when you removed the original air cooler. If you look at all of it and the tops are smooth then I would see no reason not to reuse the glue. If it is damaged though I would just get online and order some, that will be the best solution.

As for filling, having only the pump plugged into the PSU and jumping it is the best way to go, it will let you keep your pump from running dry the easiest. You really don't want the pump to run dry at all, it should be fine for a couple minutes, but the more time you avoid the better.

Solution

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Im actually doing everything as we speak right now, and just so you know... The top 240mm opening in my case is taken by the H100i... So this is the only option I got.
Thanks for the rest, Ive only finished pouring hot water in the rads and shaking them to clean the inside (there were like CHUNKS of metal in there...). So, the rest you told me will be a great help. Thanks, Ill keep you informed :)

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Well, I didnt finish but I'm almost there. It's 23:40 now so I'll go to sleep and continue tommorow. What i Did today was:
-Bought everything else I needed (distilled water ect...)
-COMPLETELY cleaned the freaking Radiators.
-Attached the Radiators at the rear of the case (Blowing out of the case), the bottom rad is an intake like you suggested. Both Rads have a Push/Pull config.
The work with the rads took up most the time. I mean it's a midi-tower case and everything's packed TIGHT.
But, before I finished the day, I took off the 7970 Dual-x Cooler and put on the SUPREMACY! Only on one card, though, not enough time for the other. The instructions are preety dang stupid. There was some confusion with the washers...
So, I did as The instructions said and when putting the Block on the core, I pushed it down a tad bit and then tried with minimal force to lift it up. I could feel the TIM holding it down, so I screwed the block onto the GPU tight.

And that's it. i'd love to show some pictures, but I'm on my phone, so it's a no-go....

Thanks SO much for everything. When i finnish tommorow, I'll report with the results :D

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

I finished day 2. I installed the Supremacy on the 2nd GPU. I also added the Heatsinks on both cards with the thermal glue. I finished because the glue takes allot of time to dry. I'm probaly finishing all of it tommorow.

However, when looking at the picture you posted long ago. The one where to put on the heatsinks. There is one place where it seems like the VRM is seperated by a capacitator or whatever it's called. However, mine is all together. There are like 3 modules 2 big and one small. Thinking I missed somethig, i grabbed te original heatsink and looked where the thermal pads are located. It seems I was right, because there was only 1 pad for the whole VRM. So, I'm guessing I'm bot missing anythig, but it's like this, because it ain't a reference card.

Anyway, Everything else is swell. Hopefully It will work...

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

Everythings done. Im leaktesting as we speak. However... Upon my first power up, some water dripped from my 1st gpu to my 2nd one.. I mean 4-5 drops. Now, Im using Distilled water and i IMMEDIATELY stopped, wiped it and dried it w/ a Hairdryer. Could there be any damage? It was a puddle less than a cm2. :(
It's all clean now and I put paper under EVERY connection it makes to see, if it works....

P1nnacle

Distinguished

There could be damage, but probably not. I actually had a broken line while playing BF3, sprayed all my water onto the CPU, Mobo, RAM, etc. Computer worked fine until it overheated. Big mess though.

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Well, I guess I did something right... BECAUSE IT WORKS!!!!!!!!
Idle temps: 30-35*C
load temps <50C
I overclocked both from 1000 to 1050 and now to 1075 and I'll see how far I can go. I'm guessing as long as the voltage is at stock, the VRM should be fine?
Man, You're AWESOME! It's quieter (still loud due to the 3€ fans) but heck, better than the reference lawn mower cooling...

Here are some pics of the build log... And you, my friend get a best answer!

img1727.jpg

img1728.jpg

img1729.jpg

img1731.jpg

img1732.jpg

img1741.jpg

img1735.jpg

img1744.jpg

img1745.jpg

img1755.jpg

img1750.jpg

img1751.jpg

img1754.jpg

img1756.jpg

img1758.jpg

Thanks again, you rock!!!

gustafangus

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013

So, I know this thread is over, but just a last question, when overclocking the Core clock, does the VRM get any more stressed? Note: I'm overclocking on stock voltage and I came from 950-1000mhz by switching to 2nd bios on the card and then from 1000-1100mhz. Anywhere over 1100, the games start crashing. So, is extra 100mhz on my cards stressing my VRM more?
And, would you reccommend me bumping up the voltage for a 1150-1200mhz overclock, or does the vrm heatsink not supply enough cooling?

P1nnacle

Distinguished

You would have to get the temps from your VRM for me to be able to tell you that, you may be able to raise the voltage, but I don't know what temps you are running at now.