7970 Vapor-X PCIE Question

alex1138p

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
So my new 7970 vapor x arrived today to replace my 4870, super excited to get it running. But I realized as I was installing it my antec 650 PSU had a 6 slot pcie and a 6+2 pcie (sorry from possible wrong name, it has a additional 2 slots that hung off the side to make a 8 slot from a 6), both connected to the 4870. So to fulfill the double 8 pcie slot on the 7970, I used the 6+2 connector previously hooked up to my 4780 to make 8 as well as using one of the 4 molex to 8 pcie adapters that came with the card.

The card started up normally, installed drivers ran some fps tests et ect so I thought the card was all good 2 go. But I did a bit of research on pcie connectors and molex adapters ect. and I was wondering if I'm putting my new card at risk because I don't have two proper 8 pin pcie connectors in the card? My connector setup seemed pretty janky and had to stretch some random molex connectors I found in my case around the card so it would connect, which seemed like it might reduce airflow. Is this a sustanable setup for my new gpu? I don't wanna have it short out on me a week from now or something.

005fkz.jpg

ps sorry for confusing picture and lots of text

alex1138p

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I was under the impression the 7970 required at least one 8 pin and one 6+2 (the card has 2 8 pin pci slots), otherwise it wouldn't be getting enough power per pin or whatever.

they are PCIE power connectors. But as said above it's an 8+6 pin card. There's not space to plug in two 8 pins. So...?

PCIE is kind of weird anyway since a 6 pin has the same number of 12V connectors as an 8 pin. But that's nvidias fault.

alex1138p

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Sapphire confirmed the newer 7970 vapro x version running 2x8 pin, and I'm staring at 2x8 pin slots in front of me. But the molex connector shouldn't cause any problems? I'm just nervous that it won't work as a permanent solution to not having a newer PSU with 8 pin connectors.

The sapphire toxic 7970 with vaporx cooler uses two 8 pin. I suppose it's possible theres a newer "normal" vaporx that does due to being a less efficient GHz model....

It should be fine as long as your PSU has the AMPs available. Other than looking ugly lol. Whats the rest of your system and specific PSU model?

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
My Sapphires HD 7970 Dual-X have 2 x 8 pin connectors. And they are awesome. No issues here with OC, heating up or noise. This is how a card should be designed. My Corsari H80i at quiet profile is more noisy and audible than my cards at 60% fan speed.