8.00 GB RAM Installed (3.98 GB Usable) Windows 8.1, 64-bit OS

Alex Long

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
MB - Asus M5A78L-M LX Plus
CPU - AMD FX-4300
Windows 8.1 64-bit

I have gone through multiple threads and tried multiple solutions and the RAM is still at 3.98 Usable.

The RAM Chip is: A-Data XPG DDR3 1866 4GB 10-11-10-30 1.5V

I have two installed and the PC recognizes that there is 8GB installed
Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Solution
The trick is aligning the processor correctly - being careful not to bend any pins. It isn't real difficult if you feel comfortable doing it. A local tech company will probably charge you $30-$60 to do it.

Alex Long

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

Yes i have tried that and it is still at 3.98 usable

Try installing only a single stick of RAM at a time, and see if Windows recognizes the RAM. If Windows recognizes the first stick, switch the sticks. If Windows recognizes the second stick fine, make sure you insert the sticks in slots 1/3 and see if Windows recognizes the full 8GB. If yes - you are good, if no, switch the RAM to slots 2/4.

Alex Long

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

Alright, Windows did recognize the 2 sticks individually. Although as far as i know my Motherboard only has 2 RAM slots, unless there are more that i am missing.

If you mobo only has 2 RAM slots, and both are working individually, have you tried to make them work in both slots? (i.e. one RAM stick in slot 1, then one RAM stick in slot 2)

Trying to figure out if it is an issue of a bad RAM slot, or the problem is with both RAM sticks together.....

Alex Long

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

It looks like it might be a bad RAM slot, when i use only one stick on slot 2 the PC turns on but doesn't come up on the monitor, while when its on slot 1 it does.

But with both on it still reads that there is 8

Alex Long

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

It is still under warranty so they will send me a new Motherboard.
I need to know how to change it out in the CPU, is there some website/video I could check out or should I take it to a local Tech Support company?