8.1 keyboard lag during welcome screen log in

bochnak

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
I have a very annoying problem that recently started and is intermittent.

When I get to the welcome screen on 8.1 pro and need to enter my password, the keyboard lags. I press a key and it may not pop up for several seconds, sometimes feels like minutes.

I'm using a wireless 2.4 keyboard mouse combo and the batteries are fresh. The mouse has always worked fine. Once logged in, the keyboard works fine.

Any ideas on how to begin diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,
Matt

Solution
Hi,

first I would download ccleaner and clear any startup programs you don't need.
If problem persist, goto bleepingcomputer.com and download run jrt ==> roguekiller ==> adwcleaner to rule out malware.

What antivirus do you use ?

It could be something updating when windows starts up and that's what cause the problem.
Hi,

first I would download ccleaner and clear any startup programs you don't need.
If problem persist, goto bleepingcomputer.com and download run jrt ==> roguekiller ==> adwcleaner to rule out malware.

What antivirus do you use ?

It could be something updating when windows starts up and that's what cause the problem.

Solution

bochnak

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

I use the free versions of avast and malwarebytes. I've scanned and nothing has shown up.

Win 8 has a tab in the task manager for startup. Nothing out of the ordinary shows up and have disabled a bunch of stuff as well (adobe). Will the programs you mentioned show something in startup that won't be seen in task manager startup tab?

I will run those programs and get back to you.

bochnak

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

I have run CC cleaner and disabled 2 adobe startup programs. Seems to be working fine now.

FWIW, the problem existed whether I did a reboot or wake up from sleep.