8.1 to 10 fresh with JBOD Array

beto113

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Hey guys!

The windows is installed in a SSD partition and Im aware I can update and clean install it since i own a 8.1 version. So far so good.
However I this machine is more like a home media server. It has about 8tb of media no critical ones yet dont want to loose it all. To make to manage all those files about 5tb used, I had a briliant idea to set it up in a JBOD array, currently it has 3 HDD.

I believe that updataing from 8.1 to 10 that Windows would just keep the array untouched. However Im planning to get it a fresh install so the windows 10 wont have any problems carried out from 8.1 to 10.
I dont have enough space to backup does media files and restore in the server later on.

If do the fresh install would the array vanish and even remounting it following the same sequence as is now would I loose all data?
Can I undo the array and after the fresh install i get the JBOD array back?

Have you got any suggestion of how keep all data and still do a fresh install?
Amazon Glacier storage backup maybe? Anything else?

Ps. dont have enough storage to transfer for external hdds.. and buying a hdd is out of question.

All the best

Solution
If your drives are configured as a JBOD array via a separate controller, installing a new OS won't affect it. If the array is configured within Disk Management in Windows though, a fresh install will kill the array and you will lose everything. An in place upgrade should leave it alone though.

Also depends as pctech mentioned above, where your media is stored. If it is on a separate partition on the JBOD array, just be sure that you only wipe out the partition that holds the OS if you do a fresh install (and, like I said above, the array is configured via a separate hardware controller).

beto113

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
The OS is in a different drive altogether (SSD), the media is in the JBOD is another 3hdds that i have.
I know the backup stuff.. and the important files are properly secured. What Im trying to avoid is having to retrieve 4tbs of data through a 50mbts internet connection, which would definitely take a while.

At this moment the best idea that i had is to use a 2tb external for faster media transfer + http://www.backuplizard.com/ for unlimited online back.

But what I would like to have is my JBOD restored even with a windows 10 fresh installation.

If your drives are configured as a JBOD array via a separate controller, installing a new OS won't affect it. If the array is configured within Disk Management in Windows though, a fresh install will kill the array and you will lose everything. An in place upgrade should leave it alone though.

Also depends as pctech mentioned above, where your media is stored. If it is on a separate partition on the JBOD array, just be sure that you only wipe out the partition that holds the OS if you do a fresh install (and, like I said above, the array is configured via a separate hardware controller).

Solution

beto113

Reputable
Jul 3, 2015
Unfortunalty that a software array, Disk Management. Thats why I was wondering if I could manage to do the same steps and configure using the same config and HDDs order to magically the files appear back in the JBOD partition.

So its not possible than. Great.
Think i will go for my second idea with external hdd transfer + online backup solution.

pctech2005

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

pctech2005

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Make an image of your system drive, that is your back up. Install win 10. If it works you are done. If it does not work apply the back up image to your system drive and wait for the official release of win 10. You will want to make sure the image you make is saved to a drive other than the system or jbod, in other words an external drive. Whatever utility you use, make sure you make boot media in case Win 10 does not work.