8.1 won't boot after installing graphics driver

Connorsyr

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
This is a brand new rig with an MSI Z87-G41 which also has Intel HD Graphics on it. I have never used another graphics card with this build.

I am trying to install a GTX 260 on it (I know, very outdated but still compatible) just so it has some use as it is just taking up space otherwise (and if I wanted to play some of my favorite old games).

I install the GPU, connections are all correct, powers on and is recognized in device manager.

I get the correct driver needed from NVIDIA and install. During install it asks to reboot to complete installation. PC reboots past the MSI screen (where you can press DEL to go to BIOS, etc) then a quick Windows logo and then I receive a consistent black screen (left it on for a half hour and remained in the black screen).

I know that one must remove previous drivers but I don't have any, but to be safe during another try at this I disabled Intel Graphics. PC ended up booting but it was in an unusable state (icons missing, could not open menus). If I unplugged the video cable from the Mobo slot and used the GPU slot I would receive no signal on my monitor (again, it powers on and is recognized in the display adapters menu).

I removed the GPU and I am currently at square one.

Solution
As I remember GTX 260 require a 6 pin power connecter from your PSU.
So make sure you plugged it to the graphics card first.
And I suggest you to goto safe mode and remove all graphics drivers with Driver Sweeper.
Then boot your computer normally.
Go to Device manager> Display adapters
right click on your card
click update drivers and select automatically detect and install drivers
(make sure you are connected to the internet)

If that also doesn't work, try another old legacy drivers for your GTX 260. Because latest NVidia drivers won\t work for it anymore.

pasanwc

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2012
As I remember GTX 260 require a 6 pin power connecter from your PSU.
So make sure you plugged it to the graphics card first.
And I suggest you to goto safe mode and remove all graphics drivers with Driver Sweeper.
Then boot your computer normally.
Go to Device manager> Display adapters
right click on your card
click update drivers and select automatically detect and install drivers
(make sure you are connected to the internet)

If that also doesn't work, try another old legacy drivers for your GTX 260. Because latest NVidia drivers won\t work for it anymore.

Solution