Question 8+4 pin for the cpu

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
I just purchased the MSI Pro B760-P Wifi DDR4 and looking to purchase a psu for it. It has the 8 plus 4 pin connecter and was wondering if I needed a psu with that or would a regular 8 pin psu work with this. Thanks

I know wattage wise but the 8 plus 4 pin connector is my question.
An 8 pin will most likely work just fine...EXCEPT if you're planning something like extreme overclocking of a 16 core CPU. With Zen 4 that generally means sub-ambient cooling.

BUT....some PSU's use lower gauge wire for the cables so having the extra 4 pin connector might be helpful so long as all 12 pins are discretely wired all the way back to the PSU.

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
I think Thermaltake's Smart line is generally considered...iffy...at best. Besides, getting a decent gold rated unit is going to be a lot nicer since they run so much cooler.

But then....I have an older 550W Smart unit and it's working just fine for an old AM3 system I have.
So would you go for a lower gold rated wattage or a higher bronze rated wattage that's at the same price point?

So would you go for a lower gold rated wattage or a higher bronze rated wattage that's at the same price point?
It would depend entirely on CPU and GPU since 700W is already cutting it close for a lot of GPU recommendations, and flat out to low for some.

Putting it simply gold rating only means it's more efficient and operates cooler, therefore quite likely quieter with the fan running slow or not at all even at heavy loads. Achieving that efficiency means it's using more modern design and hopefully using better quality components. But as with most things, there are exceptions.

Last edited: