[SOLVED] 8+8 Pin GPU On 8+6 Pin. Will it Work?

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
I've bought an used Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU. It requires 8+8 Pin PCI-E power but i only have 8+6 Pin PCI-E connectors. Will it Work properly? I can't find any Molex To 8-Pin Adapter in local shops.

Solution
No. I don't want to return to GPU 'cause that best cheapest GPU on in used market of my country. I've only found GTX 760 in same price. Is that means i should get new PSU?

You'll need a new PSU if you really don't have two 6+2 pin connectors. This is why you find 280x GPUs cheap; a PSU to safely power a 280x is going to cost in the $70 range at a minimum and that's at US prices which tend to be better. This isn't a GPU that you can just slap in a junk PSU that has two 6+2 pin connectors either; again, this is a notoriously power-hungry GPU.

It's only the cheapest GPU in the used market of your country if you already have a PSU that can safely handle it. If you don't have the connectors, then you don't have a PSU that can...

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
What's the PSU model? .... plugging a 8+6 won't work. If the PSU doesn't have the connectors it's probably a good time to change it.

Also, don't use adapters.

EDIT: Post the whole build.
CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 3.60 GHz OC
MB: Asus ROG Commando
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit
Memory: Kingston DDR2 800 MHz CL6 6GB(2GB+2 1GB+2)
HDD1: Samsung HD155UI 1.5 TB 5400 RPM
HDD2: Samsung HD250HJ 250 GB 7200 RPM
PSU: SilverStone 700W 80+ Plus Bronze
Cooler: Intel Stock Cooler
Case: Asus Vento A2

CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 3.60 GHz OC
MB: Asus ROG Commando
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit
Memory: Kingston DDR2 800 MHz CL6 6GB(2GB+2 1GB+2)
HDD1: Samsung HD155UI 1.5 TB 5400 RPM
HDD2: Samsung HD250HJ 250 GB 7200 RPM
PSU: SilverStone 700W 80+ Plus Bronze
Cooler: Intel Stock Cooler
Case: Asus Vento A2

Can you post the exact model of your PSU.
Silverstone 700W 80+ bronze is vague... there are more than one models with the specs you listed.

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
The extra 2 pins on an 8 pin PCIe connector are both grounds, to it can handle more power being delivered to the card. That's why I would avoid getting adapters.
If the power supply doesn't have two 8 pin PCie connectors, it's likely because it can't handle that configuration.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What's the exact PSU? If the GPU requires two 8-pin connectors, you have to use two 8-pin connectors; powering a GPU correctly is a requirement, not a suggestion.

That this PSU doesn't have two 6+2 pin PCIE connectors is extremely concerning; this GPU goes well over 250W and if you want to run it, it's not something you pair with a low-quality power supply, even if it is an older GPU at this point. The 280x and the 7970 it was based off of were extremely power hungry GPUs.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
What's the exact PSU? If the GPU requires two 8-pin connectors, you have to use two 8-pin connectors; powering a GPU correctly is a requirement, not a suggestion.

That this PSU doesn't have two 6+2 pin PCIE connectors is extremely concerning; this GPU goes well over 250W and if you want to run it, it's not something you pair with a low-quality power supply, even if it is an older GPU at this point. The 280x and the 7970 it was based off of were extremely power hungry GPUs.
I've asker seller and he told me he tried 8+6 and it didn't give display and tried 8+8 it worked properly. Thanks for help. I think i need 8 Pin Adapter. PSU that i have: SilverStone 700W 80+ Bronze (i don't know model number).

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've asker seller and he told me he tried 8+6 and it didn't give display and tried 8+8 it worked properly. Thanks for help. I think i need 8 Pin Adapter. PSU that i have: SilverStone 700W 80+ Bronze (i don't know model number).

Adapters are never recommended as they are a common source of fires in PCs. Certainly never in a PSU this power hungry.

Do you have the option to return the GPU?

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Adapters are never recommended as they are a common source of fires in PCs. Certainly never in a PSU this power hungry.

Do you have the option to return the GPU?
No. I don't want to return to GPU 'cause that best cheapest GPU on in used market of my country. I've only found GTX 760 in same price. Is that means i should get new PSU?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You'll need a new PSU if you really don't have two 6+2 pin connectors. This is why you find 280x GPUs cheap; a PSU to safely power a 280x is going to cost in the $70 range at a minimum and that's at US prices which tend to be better. This isn't a GPU that you can just slap in a junk PSU that has two 6+2 pin connectors either; again, this is a notoriously power-hungry GPU.

It's only the cheapest GPU in the used market of your country if you already have a PSU that can safely handle it. If you don't have the connectors, then you don't have a PSU that can safely handle it.

Frankly, the GTX 760 is a much better option. A 280x is only about 20% faster and once you count the money you paid for the GPU and a proper PSU, you're probably going to pay at least double what the 760 costs. A 760 uses about 100 less watts than a 280x, so you won't see two 6+2 pin connectors required.

Solution

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019

It's only the cheapest GPU in the used market of your country if you already have a PSU that can safely handle it. If you don't have the connectors, then you don't have a PSU that can safely handle it.

Frankly, the GTX 760 is a much better option. A 280x is only about 20% faster and once you count the money you paid for the GPU and a proper PSU, you're probably going to pay at least double what the 760 costs. A 760 uses about 100 less watts than a 280x, so you won't see two 6+2 pin connectors required.
I was aimed performance and VRAM. I wasn't think much about the Power requirements. GTX 760 running RDR2 1600X900 low with 35-40 FPS and R9 280X runs 1920x1080 medium-high with the same FPS. That's why i bought R9 280X.

TRENDING THREADS