I have a computer at my fire dept that has windows XP. we also have
office 2000 loaded on it. just recently when starting word 2000 the
screen will switch to 8 bit color from the 24 bit color setting that
it should be. when u close word 2000 the screen will switch back about
30 sec. after word closes. when u have word open you can go in and
reset the color back to 24 bit. and it seems ok.
any thoughts on why this is happening.
we are running anti-virus and several spy/adware programs.

if you have any ideas i would appericate it.

thank you

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-bit-color-ftopict551641.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748008

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I don't have Word 2000 so this is only a guess/suggestion but, when Word
opens did you check all the drop down menus for either an Options or
Preferences, or both, and see if they included any kind of screen resolution
setting?

"firenice" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer at my fire dept that has windows XP. we also have
> office 2000 loaded on it. just recently when starting word 2000 the
> screen will switch to 8 bit color from the 24 bit color setting that
> it should be. when u close word 2000 the screen will switch back about
> 30 sec. after word closes. when u have word open you can go in and
> reset the color back to 24 bit. and it seems ok.
> any thoughts on why this is happening.
> we are running anti-virus and several spy/adware programs.
>
> if you have any ideas i would appericate it.
>
> thank you

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-bit-color-ftopict551641.html

chelsea

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005

Hi there
just a wild guess but go to the Word2000 executable probably at C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE10\Winword.exe and right click it. Select the
compatability tab and check that the run in 256 colors box is not checked.
If it is, it may have been accidentally set in the past or possibly someone
found a problem with 24 bit color and Word. Anyway if you uncheck the box
Word should run with True color.

Chelsea

"" wrote:
> Hi there
> just a wild guess but go to the Word2000 executable probably
> at C:program
> FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE10Winword.exe and right click
> it. Select the
> compatability tab and check that the run in 256 colors box is
> not checked.
> If it is, it may have been accidentally set in the past or
> possibly someone
> found a problem with 24 bit color and Word. Anyway if you
> uncheck the box
> Word should run with True color.
>
> Chelsea

i tried both of your thoughts. there is no resolution setting in word
2000. i also looked in the winword file and found that the 256 color
box was not checked. so i am still at a loss...

thanks for your help

any other ideas ?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-bit-color-ftopict551641.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1749452