[SOLVED] 8 gb(2x4gb) only shows half the value. Feel like I tried everything.

Qehljilu

Prominent
Mar 1, 2021
8 gb(2x4gb) only shows half the value I checked cmd, Windows, and BIOS. They all show 4gb installed.

It all started when I suddently got huge frame drops while playing COD: Warzone. I then realised my total ram had gone from 32gb (8gb(2x4gbx)x4 slots) to 16gb.

I have tested every single stick in every single slot and they all show 4 gb instead of 8gb like they should. The frame drops show that this is actually happening and not just a BIOS bug or something. All drivers are updated etc.

Fear:
I recently overclocked my ram from using stock Mhz of 2133 to using 3000 Mhz (what the ram stick sticker shows is the top). I overclocked the frequencies but I did not touch the voltage or timings. I prolly shoulden't have overclocked without knowing that I should also think about that ;/
Question: Can I fix this or is it possible that my ram or slots got 50% fried from overclocking??

My specs are:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
VENGEANCE® LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black x 4
HDD Toshiba: 932 GB
SSD: 237 GB

Now, my Windows 10 is a bit odd. I ran diagnostics on https://www.systemrequirementslab.com and it says I have an 32-bit operating system.

However, Windows' own system information (Control Panel > System and Security > System) says that I have "64-bit operating system, x64-based processor"

System Information says that I have as follows (when 1 ram slot is in. Quadruple the values for when I have four sticks in):

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4,00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3,94 GB
Available Physical Memory 923 MB
Total Virtual Memory 5,31 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1,57 GB
Page File Space 1,38 GB

I hope you can help me out! I have 0 solutions left myself.

Solution
I am not a memory overclocking expert.
If you are populating all 4 slots then you may not be able to get to their rated speed (3000) but XMP should show you other lower selections as well.
If you leave the setting at SPD and then run CPU-Z in windows. you will see the other XMP profiles you could select from ion the SPD tab. If 3000 doesn't work or crashes then try the next one. After I find a stable one, I begin lowering the timings a little to get a bit more speed but often it's not worth the effort.

popatim

Titan
By your own admission, each stick is 4gb and you have 8 of them.
VENGEANCE® LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black x 4

(2x4gb) kit = two sticks of 4gb. 8gb would be the total for the pair.
x4 = you have 4 kits = 8 sticks of ram in total
Now the real question is , which motherboard do you have that has 8 ram slots and supports an i5-7600?

If you actually only have 4 ram slots then 16gb would be the correct total.

Qehljilu

Prominent
Mar 1, 2021
By your own admission, each stick is 4gb and you have 8 of them.

(2x4gb) kit = two sticks of 4gb. 8gb would be the total for the pair.
x4 = you have 4 kits = 8 sticks of ram in total
Now the real question is , which motherboard do you have that has 8 ram slots and supports an i5-7600?

If you actually only have 4 ram slots then 16gb would be the correct total.

I guess I am an idiot then. Sorry for wasting your time, but thank you so much for clarifying that.

It's just that each stick says 8 gb(2x4b) on it, so I just expected each of them to contain 8gb.

Do you have any suggestions for overclocking my RAM on a Asus Maximus Hero Viii?

Best regards!

popatim

Titan
I am not a memory overclocking expert.
If you are populating all 4 slots then you may not be able to get to their rated speed (3000) but XMP should show you other lower selections as well.
If you leave the setting at SPD and then run CPU-Z in windows. you will see the other XMP profiles you could select from ion the SPD tab. If 3000 doesn't work or crashes then try the next one. After I find a stable one, I begin lowering the timings a little to get a bit more speed but often it's not worth the effort.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS