8 GB RAM, BIOS says 8, but using 4080 MB. Windows 8.1 64 Bit says 8, but using 3.90 GB. Going on for ~2 months

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Hey.
I've had an annoying issue for a long time now. It's been going on for around 2 months, and no solution.
Basically, I have 8 GB of RAM installed. The RAM is G-Skill Ripjaws X 8 GB (4x2) installed in the 2 black slots of my M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard. When I check the BIOS, it says that I have 4096 MB in slot 1, and 4096 MB in slot 3... but it says that I have 4080 MB on the main menu of the BIOS. On Windows 8.1 64 Bit, it says I have 8.00 GB (3.90 usable).
What I've done:
Reseated the ram to every slot
Updated BIOS to latest version
Reseated processor and every component
Unchecked maximum memory in msconfig (and checked it as well)
Got a completely brand new motherboard
Changed the speeds of the RAM to 1333 instead of 1600, and changed it back to 1600.

I'm out of ideas. This has been going on for a while, and I don't know what to do. I have a brother with the exact same specs as me, the EXACT SAME. The RAM sticks work, so what do I do...?

Solution
Good day to you and boju. I have been following this link as I went through some RAM problems myself in the last year.
Like you, Demuny, nothing seemed to positively point to the RAM.
I know you have W8.1 64bit OS, but the 3.9 available is what shows up when the 32Bit OS is used, and you probably know that. So at first glance it looks like something messed up in Windows; But maybe not.
Here' are my suggestions:
Download and run MemTest 86. let it run on each stick for at least 8hrs., unless it finds an error before that. It is NOT infallible; it never found any problems with the RAM I had to have replaced last year but has found problems with other ram in other computers I have worked on (more in a second).
Try the RAM in some...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I would say something is wrong with the sticks of RAM. They have configuration data built into them as well and if it's all goof'ed up or the stick is bad then the stick won't work right.
Take em' back. =D

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Read it, done that before. Nothing fixed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might help to remove cmos battery and press in the clear cmos button for 30 seconds. Had to do this with a p8p67 board to recognize 1600memory.

I think thats an amd board you have? Try enabling AMP memory config if you haven't already.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

I'll see what I can do. It's just been so confusing.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

I actually tried one 4gb stick of RAM at a time, and each stick was recognized, so it can't be a faulty RAM issue.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Did that, still not fixed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
alright try setting the dram values manually and see how you go.

Load optimized defaults from BIOS Exit menu

Change Ai Overclock Tuner from [Auto] to [Manual]

Change DRAM Voltage from [Auto] to specifications

Change Memory Frequency from [Auto] to specifications
Adjust first four settings in DRAM Timing Control, starting with CAS Latency, ie something like 9-9-9-27 but change numbers to the specifications that is your memory of course.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Is "Load Optimized Defaults" safe? I've heard that it isn't safe somewhere.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
no its safe, its just labelled that as in 'advance menu' and could be dangerous if not knowing what you're doing and start messing around with other settings like cpu voltages etc.

Manually set your memory configuration instead of the system trying to auto detect. If you stick with the specifications of your memory (voltage and timings) there will be no harm done.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Well, I tried your solution, and it didn't work. This is the most ridiculous problem I've ever seen. It can't be a RAM issue because the BIOS says that I have two 4GB sticks in the correct slots!

Good day to you and boju. I have been following this link as I went through some RAM problems myself in the last year.
Like you, Demuny, nothing seemed to positively point to the RAM.
I know you have W8.1 64bit OS, but the 3.9 available is what shows up when the 32Bit OS is used, and you probably know that. So at first glance it looks like something messed up in Windows; But maybe not.
Here' are my suggestions:
Download and run MemTest 86. let it run on each stick for at least 8hrs., unless it finds an error before that. It is NOT infallible; it never found any problems with the RAM I had to have replaced last year but has found problems with other ram in other computers I have worked on (more in a second).
Try the RAM in some one else's PC: This is really important. If the same problem show up in your friends PC then the RAM is definitely bad. (Would be interesting to see if all 8GBs show up on a Windows 7 machine as opposed to W8.1).

(This is the "more" from above) Call GSkill; get in touch with a real person. Explain that you have replaced mobo, reloaded 8.1, changed BIOS's, tell them everything, even if Memtest didn't find anything; There is a good chance they will send you new RAM as warranty replacement. [If memtest throws an error code, so much the better].

I know the frustration. Last year I worked about 6 months trouble shooting my wife's PC and mine. Her's turned out to be 4gb of bad ram AND a dieing mobo. Mine is still having occasional issues; I have found 8gb of bad ram, now suspect the other 2 sticks (8gb) but haven't had time to check it out. The only place I found any info that was even close to helpful was in event viewer, and that never mentioned RAM but led to the motherboard. Corsair tech support listened to the problems and instantly RMA''d the RAM. The RAM can be BAD and you might never find out how or why: I never did, it just had problems.
Sorry for the long discourse, but hope this gives you some hope and helps out.

Solution

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Thanks for the response!
I think I may attempt to reinstall Windows 8.1 and see what happens. Thing is, before I even installed an OS, the BIOS said 4080 MB of RAM, yet it shows two 4GB sticks in both slots.
I will try to run MemTest 86 and see what happens.
I contacted G.SKILL, and they will RMA the RAM, so that's good. I still want to check for RAM issues first.
Once again, thanks for the response :)

Cool! With the BIOS showing two sticks,but only 4Gb, one of those sticks is bad. I wouldn't reinstall the OS until you get the new ram back.
Edit: When you do the reinstall, make certain you choose the 64 bit version if given a choice. Some of the Windows discs actually give you that choice as they come with both versions on the DVD, and I don't know what it would default to.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

I just checked the settings. The virtual memory used for Windows 8.1 is 7168 MB...? Is that the issue, or is that normal?
Also... hardware reserved memory is 4.1 GB, so how do I "un-reserve" it?

The virtual memory is correct: That should be about what is installed in the PC that reading is o.k.
If my memory serves me correct, the "hardware reserved memory" shows up on 32bit installs when 4GB or more RAM is installed; it basically means that your hardware that need Additional RAM has this available, but it is not available for the system to use for tasks.
Sorry, but I have to leave for work; won't be back until after 7p.m. pacific time. I will check back and see what's up after that.

EDIT: Check this out, it may make a difference.
I don't know how to do it in W 8, but open msconfig
(In W7 you type that in the search box after clicking the start button)
In MSConfig, click on the 'boot' tab, then click the Advanced options buttton. If the Maximum memory box is checked, uncheck it.
See if that does anything.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

I already did that, and nothing happened.

WaLx

Reputable
May 6, 2014
Good Day, I know this is an old topic, but i would like to know if you could fix the problem.

I have the same proble i have, i have 12GB ram and W7 ultimate 64bit shows only 8GB and 4GB reserved.

windows 8.1 same problem. ive been checking across the internet but i cant see a "solved" topic regarding this problem.

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Replacing the CPU fixed it for me. it seems that my CPU had a faulty mem controller.

Demuny, NO S^&%! For me his is a !WOW! solution as it is a 'first time' I have heard of an actual defective CPU!!
Can you tell us the make, model, etc. of the defective CPU, how you discovered it, and how your experience with customer service/warranty went?!!

Demuny

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Ha, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

No sir, no sarcasm here. I would really like to know the information requested. I am working with another forum member who was having similar problems and he solved it finally by replacing both the CPU and MoBo. We will never know which one was really defective, but he suspected the CPU because of an overheating issue; He was probably correct.
I have never had a defective CPU, and have never worked on a PC that had one.
So if you would, please humor me; this is an actual learning experience.
Thanks.