8 GB RAM Not Working

I am a PC Hobbyist. That being said, this system is OLD and unnecessary. I KNOW. :)

Specs:
Motherboard: ASRock G31M-S [LGA 775 Socket]
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 9300
Memory: Samsung DDR2 666 2 x 4GB
Graphics: PNY Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti
Storage: Kingston A400 120GB SSD [SATA II]
Storage: Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM 3.5"
Power: 375W Great Wall

Okay this is a semi-odd question. Never have I experienced anything quite like this.

I just bought two sticks of 4GB Samsung DDR2 memory for this computer. It originally had two 1GB sticks of Samsung DDR2 memory. It was completely stable and passed all memory diagnostics I threw at it.

Now, the two sticks of 4GB memory will only work in the slot FURTHEST from the processor but becomes unstable the moment either stick is placed in the slot closest to the processor. Its imperative that you are aware that they work completely fine in the slot furthest from the processor, with no issues. The old RAM still works in both slots. The memory is supported by the motherboard.

I tried:
- Re-installing Windows
- Memory diagnostics for both the 4GB sticks and the 1GB Sticks.
- Updating BIOS
- Resetting CMOS
- Underclocking/Overclocking the memory and processor

A friend thought it might be the power supply, but it didn't make sense to me if it works in one slot and not the other. I am aware that DDR2 memory consumes much more power than DDR3 or DDR4.

Any thoughts?

Just some question for checking (to be sure)
- Both memory sticks are seated in either slots (but only one seated), and in both cases - it works only when seated in one of the slots?

Also - be aware that the memory slot is made of plastic, and one slot may be softer than the other and may therefore bend more when ram stick is inserted. Therefore - have you seated the ram sticks while mobo still mounted in the computer case? If yes, I'll recommend you try to seat the ram sticks while mobo is resting to a hard surface with paper layer between.

To be more specific:
- 2 x 1 GB sticks: work together in both slots dual channel
- 1 x 1 GB stick: works alone both slots
- 2 x 4 GB sticks: work together and passes BIOS POST, but crashes in windows
- 1 x 4 GB stick: neither will work alone in the slot closest to the CPU
- 1 x 4 GB stick: both will work alone in the slot furthest from the CPU
- ALL modules passed memory diagnostics when placed in a slot alone.

All 1GB and 4GB modules are NON-ECC, Unbuffered and low density running at a speed of either 666 MHz/800 MHz.

And yes, I removed them several times and reseated them. The motherboard does not flex enough when I put the RAM modules in to cause any concern about whether they can be seated properly.

Can't. the machine practically crashes immediately. It seems like the motherboard is somehow rejecting the memory for some reason. Maybe the two slots are running at the wrong speed or something?

Ok, thats kind of weird. Then weird problems often have weird solutions - so this is what you can try: Replace the bios battery.
If that doesn't work, then most likely the bios simply doesn't support the ram properly, and ther is not much more you can do.

- BIOS is up to date. Memory is supported.
- CMOS battery is okay - holds settings after removing from board and the latter is power cycled.
- I am using a fast enough processosr (Intel Xeon X5470 OC 3.5 GHz) Yes this problem occurs at stock speeds too.
- I tried adding more RAM voltage, removing video card and USB 3.0 pcie card. Still no luck.

I think I am out of ideas. It is unstable in windows, but otherwise appears to run fine. I haven't tried a Windows 7 iso, well mostly because I shouldn't have to. But it hasn't received any BIOS updates since 2012, so I may try this in the future. If you guys find out anything, feel free to post it :)

Ok - try this one: In BIOS - try to disable as many built-in components (modem, wifi, etc) as possible - sata controller included.
you don't need to boot OS, because if you're getting a "canot find boot medium" message or similar.

Then you say it's unstable when using windows? Do you run the computer using other OS?

I am trying Windows 7 tonight.

So upon further inspection, there is an old BIOS compatibility feature called memory remapping. Basically when installing a 64-Bit version of Windows, you had to enable this feature. The funny thing is, even the BIOS seems to work better now with the remapping on. But I guess the issue in my opinion is, if the BIOS is ever reset, I will have to take the memory out to change the settings, otherwise the BIOS periodically freezes. I am currently running Windows Memory Diagnostics and it has completed 80% so far without error. I never did try Windows 7, but hopefully I won't have to. Another weird thing, the BIOS version on my machine says 2.60 but the latest version on the website is 2.10 ... lol

Well, here are the benchmarks. Got the overclock on the Xeon to 3.7 GHz nice and stable. The RAM is running at 800 MHz, but most programs don't seem to know this. (CPU-Z does)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14336327

The SSD is on a SATA II interface, so that is why it is scoring low.
The RAM is DDR2, Userbenchmark classifies it as generic DDR3, thus the low score.
The Graphics Card is a PNY GTX 1050 Ti 4GB With a 100 boost to Core and 200 boost to Memory.
The Processor is a 3.3 GHz chip that I overclocked to 3.7 GHz. The Motherboard allows overclocking but doesn't allow manual changes in voltage.

I will test Grand Theft Auto V and The Witcher 3 at Ultra Settings and let you guys know how it did. (CPU intensive games)

So the benchmarks results are in, the games have been run and it has been quite the experience working on this computer.

So one last time here are the specifications:

Motherboard: Asrock G31M-S [$60 Used | New Unavailable]
Processor: Intel Xeon X5470 [$40 Used/Mod | New Unavailable]
Memory: Samsung PC2-6400 2x4GB (8GB) [$40-$70 Used | New Unavailable | RARE]
Graphics: PNY XLR8 Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti [$120 Used | $180 New | More Expensive than GTX 1060]
Storage: Kingston A400 120GB SSD [$20 Used | $30 New]
Storage: Western Digital Blue 320 GB HDD [$11 Used | $12 Refurbished | $19 New]
Power: Seasonic 400W 80+ Bronze Non-Modular [$20 Used | $50 New]

With all used parts the total cost of the build comes to $311.00 USD. The expected performance for the price of the build is clearly less than other options available. With missing modern instructions from the processor, the GTX 1050 Ti 4GB almost matching the cost of a GTX 1060 6GB and the motherboard lacking support for modern interfaces such as USB 3.0 and SATA III, and overclocking support non-existent, I cannot recommend this build for anything more than around $200. With that aside, let's see the benchmarks.

Userbenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14365062
Passmark Benchmark: https://ibb.co/bNqnYyh

And In-Game performance (ULTRA QUALITY, 1920x1080p)
Grand Theft Auto 5 - 30 FPS Stable with very little stuttering (High 44 - Low 28)
The Witcher 3 - 30 FPS Stable with very little stuttering (High 46 - Low 32)
Naruto Shippuden UNS4 - 60 FPS Stable No stuttering with MSAA turned off, 30 FPS Stable without MSAA turned off (High 60 - Min 58, High 48 - Min 30)
No Man's Sky - 30 FPS Stable with very little stuttering (High 46 - Low 32)
Skyrim SE (with several mods) - 60 FPS Stable No stuttering
Dark Souls 3 - 60 FPS Stable No Stuttering
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Will not run, Missing AVX

TRENDING THREADS