Status
Not open for further replies.

dizlscrizl

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I've built several computers before, just gaming computers nothing serious. I've been asked by my Network Operations manager to build a computer for our NOC that will support 8 monitors. I'm a little lost on this setup, and was wondering if this community had some input on where to begin.

What we need:
-This computer will be running at all times

-support 8 monitors (32"-42"resolution not important)

- 3D acceleration not necessary, but if possible we'd like to have it

- Processor - something along the lines of an i5 2.6ghz should do

- Cooling - I'd like to water cool considering the usage, but with the GPUs we'll need I doubt it'll be in the budget. With a decent fan setup/case we should be fine

- PSU - Obviously depends on where we stand with the GPUs, but I'm planning for a 1300W. I'd like to go brand name with the PSU.

- GPUs - here is where I'm lost. Most i've ever set up is 3 monitors in an SLI setup. I'm not sure how to go about getting 8 monitors operating off the same setup. Quad SLI with 4 mid-range gpus? SLI with 2 monitors no doing 3D acceleration?

-MOBO - dependent on GPU setup

Budget wise we're shooting for around $2k, this is negotiable.

If you guys could give me some help i'd appreciate it.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, as it's been a long time since I've done more than 2 monitors on a system, but you really don't want to SLI the cards, because then each card is maintaining a full frame buffer, if you simply have 3 cards (for example) and attach monitors to each as a discrete card, it should be as simple as that, if it's not gaming they don't need a huge amount of horse power even as long as they support enough monitors per card.

Like I said though, it's been a long time since I've had more than 2 monitors (like back when you had PCI and AGP slots I did 6 using multiple PCI GPUs), so please wait for someone else to confirm this before pulling the trigger :)

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
for nothing intensive there are some amd 5xxx or 6xxx series with 6 mini hdmi,

or go gtx680 alone it can support 3 monitors, or those radeon with lots of slots will do.(cheaper ones) from sapphire.

i5 2500k/i7 2600k will do and asrock mobo is great. unless you want the dual cpu type.

I do suggest build one now and when budget allow go for watercooling. at least before you set up the watercooling by then your 100% sure that your system is running stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.