[SOLVED] 8 pin adapter will not fit 8 pin slot on motherboard.

Solution
The connector on the left is 8-pin PCI-e and is mainly for GPU's not the motherboards eps connection(pic on the right). Look for the 8 pin(4+4) connector coming from the PSU as this is what you plug into the motherboard. Your PSU comes with one so there is no adapter needed. It will be one of the 3 wired(non modular) cables.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Especially Motherboard and PSU.

Are you mixing and matching cables from various PSU's?

Those connections are very specific and if an adapter makes the connections physically fit, that adapter may not necessarily establish the necessary matches to polarity and voltage.

That will not end well.

More information needed.

Feb 13, 2020
I bought it at Canada computers, they have a store near me.

Updated specs
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-78lmt-ubs3 6.0
Power supply: Evega 650 BQ
Processor: and FX 6300
Graphics card: Currently using a and r7 360 series, upgrading to a amd Radeon Rx 580 which requires a larger power supply.
Ram: 16gb

I am not mixing and matching any cables, only using new ones that came with the psu, aside from the adapter I bought.

-thanks

bignastyid

Titan
The connector on the left is 8-pin PCI-e and is mainly for GPU's not the motherboards eps connection(pic on the right). Look for the 8 pin(4+4) connector coming from the PSU as this is what you plug into the motherboard. Your PSU comes with one so there is no adapter needed. It will be one of the 3 wired(non modular) cables.

Reactions: Mcl0vinit
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
It's a good thing that you couldn't fit a 6 pin PCIE cable into an 8 pin CPU slot with an adapter. If you had been successful, there's a very high chance you would no longer have a power supply, a motherboard, and/or a CPU.

As bignasty notes, you're looking for a 4+4 pin connector and no adapter will be needed. I'd take this opportunity to take a step back and learn what all the connectors are for, what they do, and where they go, before some very expensive consequences of not doing so.

Feb 13, 2020
It's a good thing that you couldn't fit a 6 pin PCIE cable into an 8 pin CPU slot with an adapter. If you had been successful, there's a very high chance you would no longer have a power supply, a motherboard, and/or a CPU.
Ir does fit I and considered trying it, but something told me not to, it didn't seem right. I googled If that would work and I'm glad I didn't try it.

Just so you have an idea as to why it's so bad to mix plugging in wrong 8 pin

Motherboards 8 pin is 4x 12v one row 4x negitive other row

PCI-X 8 pin is 3x12v and 5x negitive...............................one on the negative is lined up with the 12v positive

You have to use cable labeled "CPU", to connect to motherboard.

110-BQ-0650-V1_XL_3.jpg

Feb 13, 2020

That did the trick, thanks man!