8 Pin Black Connector Cord Won't Fit in New GPU

Steverism

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
I decided to upgrade my GPU recently from an old asf HD 7850 1GB card to a shiny new R9 290 4GB, I went to take out my old card and after much time trying to get the 6 pin connector out of my old card, I finally did it, and put the 6 pin in my new card, and took the 8 pin connector (Which my old GPU didn't need, it only needed the 6 pin) and it wouldn't fit into the socket it was supposed to go into on my new card, after literally an hour of fidgeting with it, I gave up.

What am I doing wrong?

Solution
if the PSU you have installed now is that OCZ, then the PCI-Express connectors you should be using are the RED ones. they're color coded for a reason. some PSU manufacturers do that, they mark the PCI-Exp stuff in red or blue or whatever, while all others are black. keeps people from plugging the wrong things the wrong way - in theory! :p

why that 8pin is there? no idea. some PSUs evidently make a totally separate 4pin and 8pin, even though it's WAY more common to just make a 4+4 so that the used has ONE cable to worry about.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
that's a EPS connector. the round/square pattern is a dead giveaway - it's meant for a CPU connection, NOT a graphics card. the GND and 12V lines are reversed on the EPS connector when compared with the PCI-Express power connector! so, yeah, be careful, and put it aside.

look at this pic. compare the round vs square portions of each tip:

HTB1CPCIFVXXXXbqXVXXq6xXFXXXm.jpg

Steverism

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012

Then why isn't it already plugged in? :S I practically just picked up a cord that was lying around in there and it fit the profile for the port of the GPU but wouldn't fit.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
if the PSU you have installed now is that OCZ, then the PCI-Express connectors you should be using are the RED ones. they're color coded for a reason. some PSU manufacturers do that, they mark the PCI-Exp stuff in red or blue or whatever, while all others are black. keeps people from plugging the wrong things the wrong way - in theory! :p

why that 8pin is there? no idea. some PSUs evidently make a totally separate 4pin and 8pin, even though it's WAY more common to just make a 4+4 so that the used has ONE cable to worry about.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It has 1 x 6-Pin, 1 x 6+2-Pin, they should be there as giantbucket pointed out.

On the spec sheet of that psu it has ATX12V/EPS12V 4+4-pin 45cm & 4-pin 45cm. So it has two cpu plugs which you'll be using the 4pin currently, 8pin is extra for motherboards that use 8pin. Its more common for PSUs to only have the 4+4 to accommodate either, maybe the extra 8pin cpu was meant to wow people :)

Steverism

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012

Alright man, thanks. I don't think it's in there, and the stuff from when I first built my computer is LOOOOOOOOOOOONG gone. The PSU that I have sitting over here should surely have that though. Thanks for all the help everyone!