Question 8 pin connector doesnt match 8 pin on psu. What can i do ?

Mar 4, 2022
8 pin connector doesnt match 8 pin on psu. I recently bought xfx xtr2 750w, iam trying to connect 2 gpus. The other cable that i got doesnt match the psu holes, can i just round edges on the pins and plug it in ? I was looking for cable to buy but this patter is preety specific and i cant find any that whould match. Link to photos View: https://imgur.com/a/nJZiyLw

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

can i just round edges on the pins and plug it in ?
No you can't!

Please step back from the harness and inspect both ends to see if you're holding the harness in the wrong manner. There will only be one way of entry on the PSU end and one way for the GPU end, meaning that the key/notch on the connector are meant to prevent people from plugging the right connector into the wrong port.

Could you also provide better pictures for the harness you're dealing with? Perhaps show us the rest of your cables.

Just out of curiosity, was the unit purchased used?

Reactions: King_V
Mar 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

can i just round edges on the pins and plug it in ?
No you can't!

Please step back from the harness and inspect both ends to see if you're holding the harness in the wrong manner. There will only be one way of entry on the PSU end and one way for the GPU end, meaning that the key/notch on the connector are meant to prevent people from plugging the right connector into the wrong port.

Could you also provide better pictures for the harness you're dealing with? Perhaps show us the rest of your cables.

Just out of curiosity, was the unit purchased used?

I was useing this cable with coolermaster powersupply and it was fine, some more photos View: https://imgur.com/a/oOwHiI0
first cable is the one that came with powersupply, it was bought used, iam already useing 2 cables that came with it and i need 2 more. I woulndt ask about filing this connector, but i just cant find any that i can buy and even on xfx site there is zero info about cables.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Whoever sold you the used power supply didn't give you all the power cables and you can't mix and match from other PSUs (including other models of CoolMasters). You would be better off to purchase a new PSU or contact CoolMaster for additional cables for your particular model. There are sites that do make custom cables but are iffy at the best.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
8 pin connector doesnt match 8 pin on psu. I recently bought xfx xtr2 750w, iam trying to connect 2 gpus. The other cable that i got doesnt match the psu holes, can i just round edges on the pins and plug it in ? I was looking for cable to buy but this patter is preety specific and i cant find any that whould match. Link to photos View: https://imgur.com/a/nJZiyLw
The simple answer nothing else to talk about is.

No!

Mar 4, 2022
So right now the only option too be 100% sure is to contact someone that make custom cables show them those connectors and check with multimeter which pin on the psu side is connected to the gpu side, and compare it to the original cable i have, right ?

So right now the only option too be 100% sure is to contact someone that make custom cables show them those connectors and check with multimeter which pin on the psu side is connected to the gpu side, and compare it to the original cable i have, right ?
Even with same PSU manufacturer, modular cables between different PSU models may not be compatible.
Using non-compatible modular cables results in damaged hardware.
You have been warned.