[SOLVED] 8 pin cpu or gpu outlet used for 8 pin pci-e cable to power gpu?

Jan 26, 2021
Hi

I have a phanteks 1200 watt platinium PSU and the 8 pin outlets are marked for cpu and pci-e. They look exactly the same regarding pins and I wonder if i could attach another GPU to my mobo using the 8 pin connector marked as CPU? There are three of those marked cpu and four for pci

Solution
I would like to think that the wiring itself is different, but dont know for sure.

the best way to check is to use a multimeter to see which is positive and negative. Those “sense” wires are just negative too.

if the socket itself is different then you can just rearrange the pins of the wire…
It's almost certain they are wired differently. You should not use the cpu cables to power GPU. After all a 1200w PSU should have more than enough pcie cables to power a second GPU.

Edit: you mentioned that it has 4 cables for PCIe. Most if not all of them should be with two 6+2pins each on the other end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ether herder

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
They are different. Was trying to find this for another post but check this out:
full

kudos to this thread.

Reactions: BlookyDJ
Jan 26, 2021
It's almost certain they are wired differently. You should not use the cpu cables to power GPU. After all a 1200w PSU should have more than enough pcie cables to power a second GPU.

Edit: you mentioned that it has 4 cables for PCIe. Most if not all of them should be with two 6+2pins each on the other end.

Oh i think you misunderstood me. Its not the cables that are marked this way its the outlets. I know these cables are different, they go out four by fours as well.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
I would like to think that the wiring itself is different, but dont know for sure.

the best way to check is to use a multimeter to see which is positive and negative. Those “sense” wires are just negative too.

if the socket itself is different then you can just rearrange the pins of the wire…

Solution